Azzy Z-Link Transfer Case Linkage Kit

I’ve heard and read nothing but bad things about the Azzy linkage.

I have the Savvy cable linkage. That’s the way to go!!!

The problem with that product is the same problem that the stock unit has ...it is still a linkage ....and they are inherently an inefficient means of transferring energy .

Linkages are basically agricultural ...just like the old CJ-5 clutch linkage that would get worn and fall off when you revved the engine ...in a mudhole usually.

The Savvy cable is truly an upgrade ..shift into 4hi with 2 fingers.

Reactions: glwood and TJ_2000
The problem with that product is the same problem that the stock unit has ...it is still a linkage ....and they are inherently an inefficient means of transferring energy .

Linkages are basically agricultural ...just like the old CJ-5 clutch linkage that would get worn and fall off when you revved the engine ...in a mudhole usually.

The Savvy cable is truly an upgrade ..shift into 4hi with 2 fingers.
Yes and no. Anything in motion transfer that connects the two moving parts is a linkage. What is wrong with the factory linkage is the bell crank to reverse the motion of the floor shifter so when you pull up from 2wd hi, it moves the shift lever on the t-case to the rear. In order to slow down vibe transmission, they use rubber bushings at 4 points in the linkage and 4 points at the tub mount. That all adds up to a very spongy force transfer and somewhat imprecise shifting.

Cables solve that by not having the rubber isolation and instead use the cable and housing's flexibility to slow down the vibe transfer. The rest of it is in the sturdiness of the two mounts at the tub and t-case. If you make those flimsy, you get spongy motion transfer, if you make them stout, you get a much more positive motion transfer.

The best motion transfer possible is a direct robust link from the floor shifter to the t-case shift lever. There are inherent issues with that though that are not easily solved and tend to bother folks. I won't do it or build one as a product because I don't believe you should have to reverse the shifter floor pattern to get a good shifter. That's just dumb to me as a designer. Once you move away from that and want to be as OEM, then you have to change direction so your floor input is opposite to the way the t-case lever needs to move.

A direct input also has issues in needing to be adjusted or messed with or it can be messed with as the trans moves around, is dropped or lowered. Cables fix all of that once they are adjusted correctly.