B&M short shifter inquiry

fourpointzero

TJ Addict
My TJ has the AX-15 w a sloppy (maybe considered normal) shifter tower. That stated, I met someone with a TJ that has the B&M short shifter installed in his TJ. It instantly got me hooked. At the time, I didn’t ask which manual he has, but I believe it was the NV3550. Immediately upon arriving home, I did some online searching for cost and install ‘how-to’ and came across a couple of reviews and forum posts that specify if installing the B&M short shifter on an AX15, you’ll need to tap a hole for ventilation. That took my interest in the shifter to zero.

So now Im here to see if there’s any real merit to the claim that when installing the short shifter, you’ll need to tap a vent for the AX15?

Thanks in advance to anyone who chimes back. Cheers-R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJ Starting
I have the B&M short shifter in a AX-15. I don't recall having to put a ventilation hole in it. It works really well and after my tummy tuck, it brought it up to a better height. Nice shifter overall. I don't think you will be sorry unless you have really short arms.

I have the kit in my jeep, but I have the 6 speed, so i can't comment on the install with regards to an AX-15. I will say that the shifter itself is nice. The effort to push it into gears is a bit more firm than ideal, but it reduced the throw by a ridiculous amount and the shifts became much more positive and precise.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I installed the B&M shifter on a 2001 TJ so that’s the newer NV transmission. It was a direct bolt on and I don’t recall doing anything with stock venting. On my 05 with the 6-spd again nothing had to be done with stock venting. Even if you had to add a tapped hole it shouldn’t deter you. Great shifters, ran them on 3 Jeeps.

Reactions: fourpointzero
I have the kit in my jeep, but I have the 6 speed, so i can't comment on the install with regards to an AX-15. I will say that the shifter itself is nice. The effort to push it into gears is a bit more firm than ideal, but it reduced the throw by a ridiculous amount and the shifts became much more positive and precise.

I have the 6 speed on my 05. I will be taking to the stealership to fix the bent forks. I've had B&M and Pro 5.0 shifters for muscle cars in the past, and they have built in stops to prevent bending the forks. From what I can tell, the shifter for the 6 speed doesn't have the customary adjustable stops. Do you know if there are internal stops built in? Once the notoriously faulty forks are replaced, will I even need them? It's not like I'm speed shifting it...much.

I'm sorry I hyjacked your thread!

No sweat at all!

I def suggest, though, kicking off another thread. That’ll give you the headline on your post. Hopefully someone w the same experience can chime back with sound advice for your 6 speed.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the 6 speed on my 05. I will be taking to the stealership to fix the bent forks. I've had B&M and Pro 5.0 shifters for muscle cars in the past, and they have built in stops to prevent bending the forks. From what I can tell, the shifter for the 6 speed doesn't have the customary adjustable stops. Do you know if there are internal stops built in? Once the notoriously faulty forks are replaced, will I even need them? It's not like I'm speed shifting it...much.
Screenshot_20191127-113134_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191127-113112_Gallery.jpg

This is what I have currently, looks like shift lever is welded on and the rubber bit around shifter is dislodged. When I try to shift into reverse it's hard to go in at times and shifting in general feels like I'm hitting metal sometimes. I think problems are with shifter not transmission, does that sound like it could be the problem?