Backlash advice

Foxhound67

Fix it till it's broken
Supporting Member
Setting up my revolution 4.56s and the backlash is about .010 heavy, RGA specifies 6-10. Pattern looks really good, and with the shims I have I can't get the lash any tighter without dropping to about 5 thou. Think I'd rather be slightly loose than tight. Thoughts?

Edit- dana 35/super 35/eaton E-locker

Screenshot_20230731-222146.png

I'd say you could drop 1-2 thou on pinion depth as it is ever so slightly deep. By doing that, your BL number will change, hopefully for a favorable combination oh shims that you have. It drives me bonkers that most master install kits don't include enough smaller shims. Thankfully I have stacks of them from years past that I often dig in to.

I'd say you could drop 1-2 thou on pinion depth as it is ever so slightly deep. By doing that, your BL number will change, hopefully for a favorable combination oh shims that you have. It drives me bonkers that most master install kits don't include enough smaller shims. Thankfully I have stacks of them from years past that I often dig in to.

This is literally my shim kit-
.013 x6

WTF am I supposed to do with that lol

I considered buying another shim pack to see if I could get different sizes to play with. My pinion adjustment wasn't much better, this is at 49 thou, other combos got me 44, 45, 52. There were others but it was so far outside the spectrum it wasn't even worth considering, e.g. 57, 34 etc.

You are 100% certain that you have NO songs sticking together? That happens quite frequently and it feels like one shim. I'd find it hard to believe that you wouldn't have some .005 shims in there. Who knows nowadays though what brand install kit?

You are 100% certain that you have NO songs sticking together? That happens quite frequently and it feels like one shim. I'd find it hard to believe that you wouldn't have some .005 shims in there. Who knows nowadays though what brand install kit?

Got it from RGA. Bought both gearsets for the 30 and 35 with their kits, only thing I didn't use was the carrier bearings for obvious reasons. I spent upwards of 20 minutes trying to get them to separate to see if I had any sticking together, the 8 was stuck to a 13 and that was it.

Got it from RGA. Bought both gearsets for the 30 and 35 with their kits, only thing I didn't use was the carrier bearings for obvious reasons. I spent upwards of 20 minutes trying to get them to separate to see if I had any sticking together, the 8 was stuck to a 13 and that was it.

Yeah, their install kits aren't any better when it comes to shims unfortunately.

This is literally my shim kit-
.013 x6

WTF am I supposed to do with that lol

On another note, I'd call RG&A and express your concern and see if they'll ship out something more robust a fast as shim selection goes. I doubt it, but it's worth a try. 🤷

I've never been happy with the amount of shims that come with the kits. Luckily, I've done enough gear sets over the years that I have a plethora of them to do future ones if need be.

On another note, I'd call RG&A and express your concern and see if they'll ship out something more robust a fast as shim selection goes. I doubt it, but it's worth a try. 🤷

When I did my RGA gears I ended up ordering some Yukon shims off of Amazon because the RGA ones were pretty useless.

Reactions: hosejockey61
I've never been happy with the amount of shims that come with the kits. Luckily, I've done enough gear sets over the years that I have a plethora of them to do future ones if need be.

I think the best shim kit I've seen came from Motive IIRC. But that was MANY years ago. The thing I hated about them though was the amount of packing grease they used on them.

That was my biggest frustration doing my Dana 44. The Yukon master install kit came with shims to go between the bearing and the carrier when I need shims between the case and bearing race. So I ordered a set from Rock Auto ($115) and from JustDifferentials.com ($17). The Rockauto were slightly larger in diameter than the OEM shims I removed. Only a couple 5 thous in there and I destroyed one pretty quickly trying to get it in.

Just differentials payment system stole two of my credit cards and the next morning had $3500 charges on both. They had a decent assortment, but only a couple 5s and 8s.

Before I started this, I didn't think getting a bunch of shims would be an issue.....but it is...

That was my biggest frustration doing my Dana 44. The Yukon master install kit came with shims to go between the bearing and the carrier when I need shims between the case and bearing race. So I ordered a set from Rock Auto ($115) and from JustDifferentials.com ($17). The Rockauto were slightly larger in diameter than the OEM shims I removed. Only a couple 5 thous in there and I destroyed one pretty quickly trying to get it in.

Just differentials payment system stole two of my credit cards and the next morning had $3500 charges on both. They had a decent assortment, but only a couple 5s and 8s.

Before I started this, I didn't think getting a bunch of shims would be an issue.....but it is...

I will also say DO NOT ORDER from Justdifferentials.com I'm still waiting on a order I placed on May 10th and I paid for overnight delivery. I've not been able to get them to refund my money either.

I will also say DO NOT ORDER from Justdifferentials.com I'm still waiting on a order I placed on May 10th and I paid for overnight delivery. I've not been able to get them to refund my money either.

I ordered 2 sets since they were cheap. One set was fine, the other was bent at about a 30 degree angle. They shipped them in a paper envelope instead of a box.

I think the best shim kit I've seen came from Motive IIRC. But that was MANY years ago. The thing I hated about them though was the amount of packing grease they used on them.

Last time I replaced gears in my race car I had a motive kit and I don't remember any issues, I'll likely try to order another shim set.

I ordered 2 sets since they were cheap. One set was fine, the other was bent at about a 30 degree angle. They shipped them in a paper envelope instead of a box.

This thread urged me to cancel the order via paypal since I used them to place the order. They immediately issued a refund.

Yeah the shim kits coming in bearing kits now days is atrocious. They only one that has not screwed up too bad that I have been using is the OEM Spicer kits.