Bad clock spring issues

Ryan

TJ Enthusiast
pretty sure my clock spring is bad on my 05, airbag light constantly going on and off/beeping. It’s been like this for a few months wasn’t to concerned since it’s not my main daily driver but lately I noticed my idle sticking at around 1,200-1300rpm in park sometimes and while driving it will fluctuate 100-200 rpm from where it usually is. First I cleaned throttle body and iac valve with really not much change, Again this is very intermittent and doesn’t do this every time I drive it So To me it didn’t seem like an dirty or bad iac valve to begin with but just wanted to rule it out. So I did a search and came up with a bad clockspring can cause issues with the tps due to sharing the same ground point in the harness and can send voltage spikes back to the ecm I believe Causing the erratic idle conditions. So I disconnected the harness on the clockspring and fired it up and no more high idle and no more fluctuating idle while stopped at a light 🤞🏻4 days so far and going strong Lol. My question is beside my horn not working now, and airbag not gonna deploy is there any other issues driving around like this? And is any store bought clockspring good to use to replace it? Or should this definitely be an oem dealer bought item like my oil pressure switch was.
AF31262E-81A1-4FFE-B3A2-1EDA3804B4FF.jpeg

My cruise control buttons were acting up and I thought I had clockspring issues, the black section was actually loose and simply snapped back down and all the problems went away. I'd remove the upper cover and firmly press the clockspring towards the front of the Jeep or at least make sure it is firmly seated on the metal part of the column. Worth playing around with if you have time.

clock.jpeg

I just found out that my clock spring is bad and my brother, who I bought it from told me that he had to disconnect the horn because the CS and the horn shared the ground. This is a 2001 TJ that was popping a p0123 code and IAC code. Once I disconnected the CS, both codes were fixed and idled great. Glad I found this forum.