Bad Headlight Ground?

JoshJ04

I'm not sure what to do here. Im having a problem with my headlights. I've done some research about the problem I've been having and heard it could be a bad ground. Here's a list of my problems:

-When my headlights are on, my wipers will immediately turn on (even thought wipers switch is off) and my left turn signal on my dash will light up. My left headlamp is also dim.
-My horn will not work. When I press the horn button, my wipers will activate and the left turn signal will illuminate until I let go.
-When I pull the highbeam switch twords me, my wipers will activate, and my left turn signal on my dash will light up.

Can anyone help me and tell me what I can do to fix this myself? I don't really have time or money to be dropping my Jeep into the shop for a couple hundred dollars. Thanks!

97 TJ, 4.0.

Are you having an issue locating the grounds near the headlights?

I think you've correctly diagnosed the issue...what do you need to help you try and fix the grounds?

The FSM... factory service manuals are in the resources section. Chapter 8 is wiring diagrams and they have diagrams showings where the grounds are.

-Mac

I'm not sure what to do here. Im having a problem with my headlights. I've done some research about the problem I've been having and heard it could be a bad ground. Here's a list of my problems:

-When my headlights are on, my wipers will immediately turn on (even thought wipers switch is off) and my left turn signal on my dash will light up. My left headlamp is also dim.
-My horn will not work. When I press the horn button, my wipers will activate and the left turn signal will illuminate until I let go.
-When I pull the highbeam switch twords me, my wipers will activate, and my left turn signal on my dash will light up.

Can anyone help me and tell me what I can do to fix this myself? I don't really have time or money to be dropping my Jeep into the shop for a couple hundred dollars. Thanks!

97 TJ, 4.0.

Here's a
Are you having an issue locating the grounds near the headlights?

I think you've correctly diagnosed the issue...what do you need to help you try and fix the grounds?

The FSM... factory service manuals are in the resources section. Chapter 8 is wiring diagrams and they have diagrams showings where the grounds are.

-Mac

Everything looks fine to me. What do you think?

17089873459301226020966043308522.jpg

17089873571856396479166707230104.jpg

I see a LOT of rust.

At the very least remove the bolt, clean up the eyelet with a brass brush, and reconnect.

Wondering if that level of rust is contributing to chassis ground issues.

How do your battery terminals look? How about the large chassis ground cable that runs to the battery and connects to the engine side of the firewall between the engine and battery.

-Mac

I see a LOT of rust.

At the very least remove the bolt, clean up the eyelet with a brass brush, and reconnect.

Wondering if that level of rust is contributing to chassis ground issues.

How do your battery terminals look? How about the large chassis ground cable that runs to the battery and connects to the engine side of the firewall between the engine and battery.

-Mac

I've seen systems not work with NO rust showing, but corrosion can look like nothing. The corrosion does NOT look like nothing. Take those bolts out and CLEAN them, AND the eyelets too. Even try to clean out the bolt holes. Or replace the bolts if you can. Replace the eyelets, too if you can. Report back when you have that done. PICS too.

I have seen bad ground connections with less rust and oxidation shown in the above pictures create a bad ground connection.
As others have responded…. Thoroughly clean all the ground connections in the engine compartment (not only the grounds that are on the radiator support on either side of the the headlights).