Bad words were said

I removed the seat belts yesterday too and they were significantly longer bolts. Can I ask you to test that Torx head for fitment, it looks correct to me, but mine in a T-50

I removed the seat belts yesterday too and they were significantly longer bolts. Can I ask you to test that Torx head for fitment, it looks correct to me, but mine in a T-50

View attachment 90485

Regrettably, mine are T40’s. I don’t have any larger ones in my stash.

Here are the actual bolts I snapped. This Jeep was a 2001 and not sure if boys sizes changed over model years.

4590d77eb91c3862c6b58f1d7ab389a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I hope we haven’t given up yet, there’s a good chance you can loosen the broken extractor by hitting the bolt from under and the same with a punch from the top. If you can loosen it, it should come out, if you have a strong magnet maybe you can place it on top while you hit the bolt underneath. I might have that bolt, I’ll check tomorrow

Ok I hope we haven’t given up yet, there’s a good chance you can loosen the broken extractor by hitting the bolt from under and the same with a punch from the top. If you can loosen it, it should come out, if you have a strong magnet maybe you can place it on top while you hit the bolt underneath. I might have that bolt, I’ll check tomorrow

I don't like giving up to a fault. I stopped at Home Depot tonight and bought a new set of vice grips, two cobolt drill bits, and a new set of extractors. I will not give up until its out or until I quit.....LOL

The bolt is a Torx 50 headed button bolt, 1 1/4 long and it is metric threaded, but for the life of me I can't recall the thread pitch.

I don't know if you can get underneath for access, but if you ground a flat spot on opposite sides of that bolt, might that give you a better way to grip it and get it turning?

Try getting to it from underneath the jeep with a pair of vice grips.

I see this type of suggestion all the times, 'get it with a pair of vice grips'... But let's take it back one step, if he was not able to undo the bolt using the actual socket with head still attached do you honestly believe he will be able to undo it using vice grips? :unsure:

If you have a part of the bolt sticking out below, weld another nut to it there and try? Or go buy tons of bits and start drilling through it thats probably a hardened steel bolt?

Cut a slit on the bottom and use a screw driver? The best would be to weld a nut on the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Drill with progressively larger bits.

Too late but having worked on some rust buckets, next time do the WD-40 a couple days in advance...then again a day in advance.

So this is what he is dealing with:
A broken extractor in the bolt

DDF7CE3A-E0EE-4365-B47E-B47A30944EA5.jpeg

The bolt from under the tub

AEF49293-3FE2-4B99-AE4B-3E9DF70A4891.jpeg

If the extractor can be removed the bolt can be drilled out.

Last edited:
I bought a hardened drill bit last night and it didn't make a dent. Didn't have time to mess with it today with guest in town, but first thing Monday I'm going to try and flatten part of what is showing underneath, so that the vice grips have something to bit into.

My fold and tumble brackets look nothing like yours the bolts that are in them are 8 mm hex head but I do have some M12 x 2.0 and some M10 x 1.0 The 10’s take a Torx 50 and the 12’s a 55

45A50C77-6A25-4F7A-8C77-D34560BBF01B.jpeg
D030058E-F719-4BA8-B770-9FAA113038BE.jpeg

I dealt with this removing seized bolts for the tailgate hinges. Had to drill most of them out, extract ect...
On the last one of course the extractor snapped flush. All I had on hand was a dremel and a couple of those cone shaped grinder heads. Spent around 1hr or so slowly grinding down the extractor and a small amount off inside the bolt, I was able to removed what was left after that...the vibes from using the dremel probably helped too.

Reactions: DrDmoney
fyi - today I stopped at Harbour Freight and picked up this electric cutoff tool for $20. If it ever stops snowing/raining in this godforsaken weather armpit of the country (Chicagoland), I plan to use this tool to cut off the four nuts underside the body. Typically these sort of nuts are held on with some weld, and if you cut through it carefully, you can then remove the nut, and replace with a regular bolt/nut combo.

I think you may go through a lot of time and effort (and aggravation) trying to get that bolt out of the nut. Instead you might want to consider just getting rid of the nut rather than trying to salvage it. At least for me having to remove not one but four broken bolts, this approach makes more sense. I'll post an update later this week, after I remove the first nut, to inform on how it went and if there were any complications.

CutoffTool.jpg

Reactions: BobK