Ball joint tool kit

OctaviousMonk

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am looking to final buy a ball joint tool kit instead of renting. If I have the mopar ball joint adapter set should I buy a basic setup like :This or should I get the master kit like: This one ?
Thanks

I've used the basic kit with the adapter set several times now. It's not the greatest quality but it has performed well for my occasional needs.

OTC ball joint press kit and the OTC Jeep adapters works really well and if I recall, there was an empty spot in the press kit container to store the jeep adapters.

I had the adapters for years and used them with the rental kits from the parts store, finally got the press itself on a screaming deal that was open box and returned for like half off - flawless condition.

I recommend the OTC set. AutoZone currently has it for $140. You get a handful of receiving tubes of various sizes and a few adapters. Paired with the adapter kit for the jeep/dodge. Its a strong unit and the one I have used has done many, many ball joints.

I just bought the harbor freight kit and it works fine..I am an amatuer mechanic not someone doing it every day.

Something along these lines

Screenshot_20220718-103606_Chrome.jpg

So you haven’t needed any other adapters (besides the mopar ones) to warrant the master kit? That’s what I’m wondering. Basic kit or master kit.

The only vehicle I've changed the ball joints on with the kit is the Jeep. I found the Jeep adapters very helpful for that process though maybe not absolutely necessary. I've done u-joints on multiple Jeeps. I haven't kept track of how many of the pieces of the kit I've used but it seems like most if not all of them. For my needs, I've had the right combination of pieces in the kits I bought.

If I recall from when I did my homework, the smaller set does not include the pieces required to press the upper control arm bushings. Accordingly, I bought the master set since ball joints are the primary, but not only, use of a kit like this

I just did mine with the HF setup I've had for years, no mopar adapter. Frozen uppers drop right in, lowers needed the tool. I just took my time and adjusted if it looked like they weren't going in "straight"