Baltimore Ed's ‘02 Scrambler'ed TJ build

Here’s my Cj draw bar mod.
095C78FD-375F-48CB-B9F7-65673E0B28F8.jpeg

Got some more work done. My meep meep horn is gone, now Ripley sounds like a ‘69 Plymouth Fury. A muscle Tj, made you look. Replaced the weird bulb in the engine compartment light, cleaned it up. Replaced the #19 fuse for my lighter but there might be another issue as I plugged in my phone to charge it and it was flickering charge- no charge??? Ordered a washer pump at napa, I’ll try to get it installed tomorrow. Got a question for the forum. In looking at my engine compartment there is a fairly large shelf on the driver’s side up against the firewall, about the same level as the battery shelf. What was/is supposed to be in that space? Another battery, air compressor? It looks like something was bolted there as there are bolt holes in it. My tonneau hinges came today so I’ll see what I can get done before my surgery Monday.
Here’s a pix that I found showing the shelf that I’m curious about. The thing right under the master cylinder.View attachment 101716
Hey, @Baltimoreed, I think that's where the ABS pump is mounted for rigs with ABS. I think it's safe to say that your TJ is not ABS equipped. Seems to me that folks use that space to mount onboard air pumps. It's extra room. Get creative with it! ;)

Thanks Squatch, looked like something was or could be mounted there. I found another Fury horn in my barn so I cleaned it up. I ran a tap down one of the threaded holes in the shelf and installed the third horn there. With the discordance between the horns it kinda sounds like diesel train engine but not as loud. But a lot louder than the meep meep that I originally had.

Reactions: Squatch
Went to town today and picked up a belt and blades for my ztr mower and knocked out the yard. On the way home I picked up the 4x8 DP. I think I’m done the frame so next I’ll have to figure out where my gas pistons need to go. The lid to the GR8TOPS box has pistons to hold it open and it’s not that heavy, for safety’s sake I’m thinking my tonneau needs them too, it will be heavy.

Update— my DP cover will weigh about 51 lb [3.9 lb per sq ft x 13 sq ft] the framing will add another 8 lb.

Last edited:
Ran into a snag on my tonneau, my hinge bars do not close at the most rearward position. They move rearward slightly upon opening and then forward which creates a gap. I’m going to add a more flexible gasket but I don’t want to drill holes into my fiberglass half cab. I’ve cut a piece of rubber tubing that will slide over an aluminum angle, the bottom of the angle will go under the bigger aluminum angles that are bolted to to the bed to hold it in place. If it works pictures tomorrow.

I’ve had to rethink my tonneau as I can’t get it to open and close and keep a tight seal against the cab due to the operation of the 4 bar hinge. However since I’m going to use the tailgate to lock it down I’m thinking that the tailgate could also hold it tight to the cab. I’ll do that by making the top where it can move forward and back about 3/8 inch. When the tailgate closes it will move the top enough to compress the gasket between the aluminum top and cab. I’ll add a pair of small springs to pull the top away from the cab when the tailgate is opened. At least thats my current plan. I’ve got therapy again tomorrow so I’ll pick up another piece of aluminum angle when I’m in town.

So can you explain why GR8tops did not want to do the tonneau cover for you?

You got a good idea there, I’d almost be half tempted to try it for my LJ.

Reactions: JeepZilla380
My original plan was a GR8TOPS soft top tonneau/ trunk which would have worked except for their DP aluminum box that they sell. I wasn’t aware that their tonneau used a cross brace and the box interfered with the center mounted brace which would have had to be removed in order to even open the box. I guess that they never had someone request a their tonneau and trunk. While a support brace mounted to the lid might have worked I decided that I’d build my own aluminum tonneau so we nixed the soft cover. Their box is not as sturdy as I would like nor is it’s lock. A halfcab has got to have a lockable area somewhere and with the cab being so small you’re only left with the bed. Another idea might be a waterproof box with a pull out drawer and a soft cover using the tailgate to lock things. My idea will use the Tj tailgate lock which is as strong as any door lock with a 1/4 in piece of DP aluminum as a top that the closed tailgate will lock down. It should be as secure as a trunk of a car would be. I’ve been tinkering with it some today [found a pair of springs that might work] and will have to build a frame out of 1x4 and 1x6 pine to use as a pattern for the hole locations for my aluminum plate and aluminum hinged angle. I’ve also discovered that my bed isn’t square so my aluminum angles are different lengths. And don’t forget gas struts.

Reactions: freebo86
Installed red/blk door pulls today. Here’s a shot of my turn signal move. I’m afraid that my fender paint job isn’t as good as I wanted it but this fall I’m having the whole body painted so my paint shop guy will fix my mess along with the other bodywork. I’ll remove the oem faded fender flares before he paints and then install the pocket flares I’ve bought. The actual light move to the grille turned out nice. I like the look.
8BACA2AB-133A-45FC-A2E0-F33A0C547A55.jpeg
6B531762-332F-4A98-AA3E-0106F4C6F501.jpeg

Reactions: zebra12 and Squatch
Nice build man. I love it when people hit a snag with production parts and say, "Screw it! I'll just build my own." I'm currently fabbing a set of the discontinued dropkick slyders with a removable step.

Much respect for the aluminum hard tonneau cover. Hope you get it all ironed out.

Installed red/blk door pulls today. Here’s a shot of my turn signal move. I’m afraid that my fender paint job isn’t as good as I wanted it but this fall I’m having the whole body painted so my paint shop guy will fix my mess along with the other bodywork. I’ll remove the oem faded fender flares before he paints and then install the pocket flares I’ve bought. The actual light move to the grille turned out nice. I like the look.
View attachment 110028View attachment 110030
I like the look. If I were to do mine, I think I would try for the CJ turn signals. Do the ones you have come from a JK?

Yes, they’re the Jk plastic housings using Ripley’s Tj bulbs and sockets. Didn’t want to mess with led stuff.

Replaced the Tj plastic plate holder with a Cj s/s plate holder. Cooled off so I’ve started back on my tonneau. Just about have the second attempt at a pattern put together. Hoping tomorrow to drill the holes through it into the sliding part of the frame. Pictures tomorrow. I want to get this completed this week. Talked to the guy who’s doing my undercoat work. I’ll carry Ripley to him second week in September.
Update— added a couple of small pieces of aluminum angle on my sliders to give them more bite area on the solid frame. Added a piece of aluminum flat to the pattern to slide under the frame on the tire end to hold it down [proof of concept]. Tomorrow I’ll drill the 8 holes to mount the pattern to the sliders and if that works then I’ll lay it out on my DP and start cutting and sanding. I’ll use this critter to keep my holes perpendicular to the work.
F17CDB70-2C91-4385-9942-1C73956BE5F9.jpeg

Last edited:
I felt bad about it but had to cut on my beautiful, pricey piece of 4x8 diamond plate yesterday. Most expensive single piece of raw material that I’ve ever bought. But I crossed the Rubicon and rough cut out my overhead shelf for practice. Used a carbide blade and cut slow, still wrecked the blade. But I’ve got a couple more. Today I’ll make the fitting cuts and start on the tonneau cuts. I’ve also got up down play between the pattern cover slide and frame angle so I will put in a 1/8 spacer to tighten it up.
It got warm yesterday when the breeze quit so I didn’t get much done. Been working on my shelf today, cut and fit, etc. About got it.
D3599B8F-EE35-4BCB-B7DA-0DBF5FC9865D.jpeg
56130376-9E01-4D4B-8A83-5D27BB6A555B.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Squatch