Bank 2 Sensor 2 Wiring

drewtj05

So I am still trying to track down and fix all my O2 codes. I recently installed a new Wranglerfix PCM which eliminated many of the previous codes that I was getting, but I am still having trouble with B2S2 codes. I followed the wiring and found some exposed wiring on the harness that connects the sensor and routes behind the valve cover. I am curious in order to remove the connector that is attached to the bell housing is this just like a plastic clip that holds it onto the little bracket? I am trying to remove it from this to wrap it in some tesa tape but I don't want to just yank on it and cause damage.

Here are the codes I am still getting which is leading me to believe the wiring could be the last of my issues with this. Also when I check my O2 scanner it shows the HRT monitor is not ready. I am not sure if this is directly related to these codes.

P0058
P0161
P0158

@Wranglerfix

Reactions: Wranglerfix
Hey Drew,

Was our Pcm installed prior to the bare wire find? If so, the wiring could have affected it. What was the original issue and order with your Jeep?

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I did install the PCM before I was able to locate the bare wires. Original issues that I was having were all of these codes listed below which have since gone away. The only codes I am getting currently are the above 3. I have so far put about 450 miles into the drive cycle currently.

P0431
P0153
P2098
P0157
P0057

Send me a private message with your order number and I will check with my tech tomorrow and reach out to you.

Reactions: rasband
So I was able to get the connector that comes off of the main wiring harness and found this. I really suspect this is one of the issues that is causing the codes to come up. I am not sure how to fix this though as it is coming off of the main harness. Not sure if I were to take this to a shop if they can cut off the old harness and put a new end. I really don't want to be hit with having to replace an entire wiring harness for just the 1 O2 sensor.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

I apologize for the delay in responding as my phone has been acting up. That wiring harness looks like it has been through the war and back. Where is that located?

There are people that rebuild/repair harnesses. Most of them are really busy if they’re good!!

It's no problem I appreciate you getting back to me. Yeah it definitely has seen better days. This is the part of the harness that has the connector for bank 2 sensor 2. It sits behind the valve cover, i was able to fish it out from behind to more closely inspect it.

I am going to try reaching out to one of the local Jeep shops to see if they can help or recommend someone because this is a task I do not feel comfortable trying to tackle when it comes to wiring. If anyone knows of some places that can probably help in the DFW area appreciate the suggestions.

Hey Drew did you end up fixing this? How far into the harness did you have to fix the wiring?

I have a B2S2 low voltage gremlin that I’ll need to deal with when I get back to the rig. Do you have any other photos of where those tires come off the main harness?

BTW, there’s a TSB for the heater circuit wiring just want to mention that in case it’s helpful.

Hey drew, what year is your jeep? I have a harness in my garage that I've already hacked on a little, so I can probably part with the o2 sensor plug. They changed shape over the years so mine not fit. But there are some things we can do to repair that , especially if we can de-pin the connector. I'll also add that if one set of wires looks like that, I have a dire prediction for many of the others.

Where are you at in Dallas? I know I can't get down to give you an assist this week, but maybe the weekend or next week? Please don't take it to a shop unless you NEED it fixed NOW. We can do a meet up. @machoheadgames is good with electrical as well, we can fix the jeeps and drink the beer.

Also can you take a good pic of just the plug part, what it looks like inside, etc. Maybe we can just find the pigtail available and splice that in.

I was commenting on an old post, but I hope he takes you up on that if he's still having issues. Wish I was in your area I'd let you guys drink beer and hold the other end of the DMM. :)

ah crap, I usually look to see if it's a necro bump, but I didn't this time. Figures.

ah crap, I usually look to see if it's a necro bump, but I didn't this time. Figures.

It happens.

The first time I commented on "what did you do to your jeep today" I thought it was a neat new thread idea. My post was added around page 130. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: hear
Hey Drew did you end up fixing this? How far into the harness did you have to fix the wiring?

I have a B2S2 low voltage gremlin that I’ll need to deal with when I get back to the rig. Do you have any other photos of where those tires come off the main harness?

BTW, there’s a TSB for the heater circuit wiring just want to mention that in case it’s helpful.

Hey Mike I was able to fix the problem albeit I kinda fixed it with a band-aid sort of fix just to see if this was this issue and just haven't gotten it permanently fixed. I ended up replacing the valve cover gasket and was able to determine that a good majority of the sensor wire for this bank was in horrible shape. I simply first tried pulling the separate wires on the harness apart from each other, wrapping each part in Tesa tape where the covers were gone and cleared the computer. I drove it for a while to see if the codes would reappear and thus far they have not, i have about 200 miles since I did this and all my sensors are ready for emissions testing.

I don't drive much anymore as I work from home now so typically it really only gets driven occasionally. This was able to fix the few issues that I have with the heater circuit and some other problems with this bank also running rich. I haven't gotten to doing the permanent fix yet but will likely see if I can get a kit to replace this section of the wiring.

Hey Mike I was able to fix the problem albeit I kinda fixed it with a band-aid sort of fix just to see if this was this issue and just haven't gotten it permanently fixed. I ended up replacing the valve cover gasket and was able to determine that a good majority of the sensor wire for this bank was in horrible shape. I simply first tried pulling the separate wires on the harness apart from each other, wrapping each part in Tesa tape where the covers were gone and cleared the computer. I drove it for a while to see if the codes would reappear and thus far they have not, i have about 200 miles since I did this and all my sensors are ready for emissions testing.

I don't drive much anymore as I work from home now so typically it really only gets driven occasionally. This was able to fix the few issues that I have with the heater circuit and some other problems with this bank also running rich. I haven't gotten to doing the permanent fix yet but will likely see if I can get a kit to replace this section of the wiring.

Thanks man I really appreciate the update. That’s the same location @CharlesHS specifically mentioned when telling me locations to check.

It makes sense that I might have exposed wiring rather than a broken wire bc my old sensor was dead and the new sensor worked great until it died about ten days later.

Mine is an 05, this is actually the kit I was intending on trying out. I had reached out to a few shops one that Dallas Offroad recommended AES in Dallas https://autoelectricsystemsinc.com/ but was a little on the spendy side. Really didn't feel like dropping that much at the moment.

Imagine that, Dallas Offroad recommended something overly expensive.

Anytime you pay somebody else it gets expensive. Wiring repairs usually boils down to two things: replacing a bad section of wire, or replacing a pigtail. Neither are terribly difficult, and with the right sort of terminals & tools, a repair will last longer than you own the jeep. Now some of those pigtails can get expensive or hard to find...then you have to tap into some skill to re-use what you've got but nothing major. Happy to help if you want to tackle this eventually.