Barely any heat

kgbhans

Need some help on a 1999 Sahara. Bought the Jeep last month so I dont know much on the history. Last week it started to get chilly and I got no heat. I back flushed the heater core till it was clear, replaced thermostat, and did a coolant flush. Now it is barely warm but not hot. I checked the blend door and it is in position for heat and the motor and door turns. Any suggestions before I toss in the towel and take to a mechanic? Thanks.

Kevin

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thats funny! Yes auto fill got me. It is a Sahara and I installed a 195 degree thermostat. I just went out and burped it more and it is better. I put a thermometer in the side vent and got about 127 degrees but got 107 degrees on the defrost setting and at windshield. Not sure if those temps are normal? Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Dry A/C air gets ducted into the vents when in the Defrost mode, that's probably why it's cooler. Try driving it some more and see if it warms up. The TJ's cooling system is self-burping and any trapped air may take some time to work out.

Hopefully that new 195 degree thermostat was not a "fail-safe" (which can and do fail) model. Fail-safe thermostats commonly hang up in the open position and cause the coolant and heater to run at lower temperatures.

Reactions: Chris
Well drove it for about an hour and the temperature at the vents is only about 100 degrees....and its only 65 degrees outside!

With the engine warmed up hold onto each heater hose and confirm they are both hot to the touch not just warm.

I checked them yesterday while I was burping and they were hot. I did pull the blend door actuator again and the door was in the heat setting but it was stiff to turn. Unfortunately I have limited knowledge of Jeeps so this maybe normal or could be a broken/damaged blend door.

It sounds to me like this very well could be a blend door that it stuck.