Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area 8/19/23

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
My dad and I hit Barnwell Mountain last weekend and had a blast. He was in his Tacoma with a small lift, 32's, rock rails, and high-clearance bumpers, so we stuck to the 2's and 3's for most of the day, which was about as much as his setup could handle. It was awfully hot, but we wheeled from about noon to sunset and were rewarded with a nicely painted sky to end the day as we aired up.

We missed most of the good action shots because it is hard to be a spotter and a cameraman at the same time. In fact, you usually end up doing a terrible job at both if you try to multitask. But here's a few pictures and videos that we did get.

20230819_183128.jpg

20230819_174030.jpg

20230819_163344.jpg

20230819_184841.jpg

20230819_135235.jpg

20230819_201406.jpg

We parked the truck towards the end of the day to run a more technical trail in the TJ before leaving. The lady in the office had recommended "The Politician" (rating 4), which was indeed a really fun trail - so much so I ran it in reverse too. Before visiting the park, I held the impression that it was mostly just dirt roads and mud, but there are quite a few higher difficulty trails (up to 5 and 6 by their rating system) that are rocky and technical. So I stand corrected - there's something for just about everyone at the park.

That's awesome that you and your father had a fun day.
I'm glad to hear the positive review. I recently moved and am about an hour away from the park. I will have to check it out.

Reactions: Tob and PRNDL
I plan to make a couple of trips out there later this fall! I haven't found that rock garden before. I think I've seen it on the map, but never made it out that way.

I plan to make a couple of trips out there later this fall! I haven't found that rock garden before. I think I've seen it on the map, but never made it out that way.

Rock garden circa 2005. I haven’t been since then and it was fairly new then so excited to see it in October.

461D31CA-AA4A-4B75-8AEB-CBD7B54D5B52.jpeg

Reactions: Tob
That's awesome that you and your father had a fun day.
I'm glad to hear the positive review. I recently moved and am about an hour away from the park. I will have to check it out.

Depending on where you are, you might be close to Hidden Falls or Crossbar in Oklahoma too. Both are worth making a trip.

Depending on where you are, you might be close to Hidden Falls or Crossbar in Oklahoma too. Both are worth making a trip.

I'm over by Tyler but have in-laws in the DFW area. Both of those parks would make a good day trip for me when hanging out with the family.

Reactions: PRNDL
BMRA back in 2008, first time out wheeling ever. The video version of this shows me getting crossed up and slipping passenger side. I'll see if i can find it.
1693093368319.png

Reactions: Tob