Basic Newbie Question driveshaft

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Bear with me on this one or give me a sanity check please. The vehicle is a 2004 TJ, 4.0, 5 speed. With the transfer case in neutral and trans. in neutral, shouldn't I be able to turn the front drive shaft by hand?

Last edited:
You don't have locking hubs so the front driveshaft is always connected to the front tires. You should be able to spin it with the tires off the ground.

So the front driveshaft is not engaged at the transfer case when transfer case and trans. are in neutral?

Or 2wd HI. It should be able to spin free, that's how you make a sharp turn on pavement without bind.

I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what is going on in the TC in neutral as I haven't had one apart but I'd think everything would be unlinked from the trans. Front and rear should be able to spin separately and should have any rotational torque applied to the output of the transmission.

But if something in your front end is locked up, front diff grenaded, wheels on ground, etc. you aren't going to spin that shaft without also spinning the tires.

What do you have going on?

Or 2wd HI. It should be able to spin free, that's how you make a sharp turn on pavement without bind.

I honestly couldn't tell you exactly what is going on in the TC in neutral as I haven't had one apart but I'd think everything would be unlinked from the trans. Front and rear should be able to spin separately and should have any rotational torque applied to the output of the transmission.

But if something in your front end is locked up, front diff grenaded, wheels on ground, etc. you aren't going to spin that shaft without also spinning the tires.

What do you have going on?

I have a leaking front driver's side axle seal and am sizing up whether to just stay on top of the leak or replace it when time permits. Just checking other things while I am under Jeep. BTW, the wheels were on the gound when I tried this so your explanation makes sense. Thanks for the answer.

Reactions: DrDmoney
That seal will be a bit of work to fix, you'll have to open up the diff and remove the carrier, axle, etc to get to it. It's a good time to do any other upgrades while you are in there.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm going to swing by a local and well spoken of Jeep shop next week to discuss re-gearing, etc. and will try to get a rough estimate. My days of laying on my back are over as I don't have a lift. I may as well do everything I'm planning to do while the Jeep is in the shop.

Reactions: DrDmoney