Battery good, but no crank. What could it be?

ChrisTj

I was in a store for about 15 minutes, and when I came out the engine would not turn over. Battery is new, all the instruments were good (not freaking out) and no codes. I tapped on what I thought was the solenoid. I took the starter relay out and tapped it, smelled it, and put it back in. I straightened the steering wheel, but didn't take it out of park. It started normally and has for the last five times. I have a long trip and I want to replace whatever it is that caused it not to crank. It there a list of things it could be? 2006 TJ 4.0 Automatic.

Run a wire directly from the positive terminal on the battery to the spade connection on the starter. If it cranks, your starter is fine.

I just had the same issue and it turned out to be the ignition actuator. A metal piece broke, which made it so turning the key to START didn't do anything.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/nk24s-2004-jeep-wrangler-rubicon.17069/post-479164
Edit: Nevermind, missed the part where you said it's been starting fine.

Run a wire directly from the positive terminal on the battery to the spade connection on the starter. If it cranks, your starter is fine.

I just had the same issue and it turned out to be the ignition actuator. A metal piece broke, which made it so turning the key to START didn't do anything.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/nk24s-2004-jeep-wrangler-rubicon.17069/post-479164
I'm going to take that part out anyway to see if it's bad. It just happened to me again.

Another option that's a little easier is just pulling the starter relay and placing a pair of needle nose pliers across the power side of the relay receptacle. That will bypass the control side of the starter circuit, so if you do that and it cranks you know your problem is either the relay itself or in the ignition switch/actuator.

I was in a store for about 15 minutes, and when I came out the engine would not turn over. Battery is new, all the instruments were good (not freaking out) and no codes. I tapped on what I thought was the solenoid. I took the starter relay out and tapped it, smelled it, and put it back in. I straightened the steering wheel, but didn't take it out of park. It started normally and has for the last five times. I have a long trip and I want to replace whatever it is that caused it not to crank. It there a list of things it could be? 2006 TJ 4.0 Automatic.
While holding the ignition switch in the Start position, try moving the transmission shifter between Park and Neutral. If it starts after the shifter has been moved slightly your shifter cable has stretched a bit and just needs to be adjusted.

This is from the FSM...

ADJUSTMENTS - SHIFT MECHANISM
Check adjustment by starting the engine in PARK
and NEUTRAL. Adjustment is CORRECT if the
engine starts only in these positions. Adjustment is
INCORRECT if the engine starts in one but not both
positions. If the engine starts in any position other
than PARK or NEUTRAL, or if the engine will not
start at all, the TRS may be faulty.
Gearshift Adjustment Procedure
(1) Shift transmission into PARK.
(2) Remove floor console as necessary for access to
the shift cable adjustment. (Refer to 23 - BODY/IN-
TERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL)
(3) Loosen the shift cable adjustment nut.
(4) Raise vehicle.
(5) Unsnap cable eyelet from transmission shift
lever.
(6) Verify transmission shift lever is in PARK
detent by moving lever fully rearward. Last rearward
detent is PARK position.
(7) Verify positive engagement of transmission
park lock by attempting to rotate propeller shaft.
Shaft will not rotate when park lock is engaged.
(8) Snap cable eyelet onto transmission shift lever.
(9) Lower vehicle
(10) Tighten the shift cable adjustment screw to 12
N·m (105 in.lbs.).
(11) Verify correct operation.
(12) Install any floor console components removed
for access.

Reactions: reddvltj