Battery in cold weather

FirstJeep

TJ Enthusiast
This is going to sound stupid to most of you here but I was just wondering why does cold weather affect the battery in my 2000 Sahara? Luckily I live in the south and cold weather is seasonal. I’ve had to carry my portable jump starter with me but luckily summer is on its way. Any help would be appreciated.

unless it's really cold, if your having to use a jump box to start your car it's probably time for a new battery. stop in at your local part store and have it tested, they can tell you if it's good or not. also having a weak battery will wear out your starter in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucky
unless it's really cold, if your having to use a jump box to start your car it's probably time for a new battery. stop in at your local part store and have it tested, they can tell you if it's good or not. also having a weak battery will wear out your starter in time.
Couldn't hurt to check the battery terminals and cable clamps for oxidation and tightness which will hinder the transfer of amperage while trying to crank the engine.

Reactions: tr21triton
Cold weather slows down some chemical reactions including the one that allows your battery to deliver electricity. When things slow down it makes little problems into big ones.

Cold weather is a problem for nearly all automotive batteries, especially if they're getting weak from age. I'd replace it with a new good quality (not Optima!) AGM battery.