Battery Tray Issues

Capthewrangler

Good morning everyone,

I have a slight issue that I'm not sure how to fix. I went to replace my battery and the hold down's bolt broke off and is stuck in the tray now. I don't have the tools to drill it out. For the time being, I thought of using a bungee cord until I can take it somewhere. The issue with that is I can't find a place to wrap it around. Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

1923594.jpg

This is the type of hold down it has.

What year Jeep do you have? The hold down resembles the JK version.

In your case if the screw broke you might have to drill and tap it

Here is page 8F - 15 from 2006 TJ Service Manual

Battery_Holddown.jpg

After a quick internet search, it looks like at least some 2005-2006 TJs use a wedge block instead of the j-bolts, although the FSM doesn't show this.

As to the OP's question, if I understand correctly the shaft of the bolt broke and you were able to remove the wedge block and the battery, but now you cannot secure the wedge block back to hold down the new battery? If so, you could try to remove the entire battery tray and see if there is enough of the bolt shaft showing to grab onto with a pair of vice grips to remove it. You can use a number of methods to persuade it (penetrating oil, heat , shock) if you can get a grip on it..

Good luck.

Reactions: matkal
sorry for reviving an old thread, but just had this happen to me at 5:30 am in my unheated garage and it's 12 degrees outside.
pulled the 2 bolts that i can see for the tray ( they are closest to the engine ) but there still seems to be something holding it down on the side closest to the fender but i can't locate any other bolt heads.
what am i not finding or seeing ??

sorry for reviving an old thread, but just had this happen to me at 5:30 am in my unheated garage and it's 12 degrees outside.
pulled the 2 bolts that i can see for the tray ( they are closest to the engine ) but there still seems to be something holding it down on the side closest to the fender but i can't locate any other bolt heads.
what am i not finding or seeing ??
There's four bolts on my '04 holding the battery tray.