BDS Springs 3" Front & 2" Rear or 2" All Around With .75 Spacer Up Front?

Roadrash74

TJ Enthusiast
I am getting close to ordering some BDS Springs and am curious if anyone out there has opted to go with 3" up front and 2" in the rear instead of using a .75 spacer up front to level. If I remember correctly, the Front BDS springs are softer than the Pro Comp (158 to 170 spring rate) and the rear are stiffer (200 to 175). I do have a hard top and actually use the back seat on occasion so I like the Idea of a firmer rear (I mean, who doesn't like a firm rear). Up front I have an aftermarket bumper and a winch adding a bit of weight which when combined with the softer spring I am wondering if that would level out the ride height. Does anyone have experience with this and can toss out a picture or two? I am basing all this off of @CodaMans (and @Chris redo) recipe for an affordable lift and will be installing the Rancho RS5000Xs.

Add in: I just saw in another post (Should I run 2.5" springs up front and 2" springs in the rear?) Chris answered "Running two different sized springs though, that's not something I'd encourage". Why would running longer springs up front be any worse than adding a spacer?

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

So I measured the stock suspension to see where it is currently sitting and got 12" up front and 7" in the back (measured from pad to pad). As I was filtering through all the replies on this thread, I realized that this jeep was originally a soft top and the PO put on an aftermarket hard top, which is probably why it's sitting low in the back. I'm hoping the increased rate of the new spring over stock will put the back end back up where it's supposed to be...plus 2 inches. Any thoughts on this. Right now the back end sits about 3/4 inches higher than the front (measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well flare.

I do NOT like spacers and body lifts.
I also do NOT like rake.

Why hell bent on BDS? They're just coil springs on a little Jeep.
The shocks do the work and make or break your ride.

Call some lift companies and ask about their springs and rake. Explain your extra weight in the front and if you've got any extra in the back.

I do NOT like spacers and body lifts.
I also do NOT like rake.

Why hell bent on BDS? They're just coil springs on a little Jeep.
The shocks do the work and make or break your ride.

Call some lift companies and ask about their springs and rake. Explain your extra weight in the front and if you've got any extra in the back.
Why BDS? No questions asked lifetime guarantee, Made in USA, $115 per pair, and great reviews.

I don't recall mentioning the ride in my post, but I know there have been several long, drug out debates on that topic so its hard for people to get past arguing "ride quality" even when that is not the question. Also, while the rate may have minimal effect on the vehicle, there is still an effect. The higher the spring rate is, the more resistant to compression it is. Because I have a hardtop that is not original to the vehicle (that adds weight), use the back seat (which adds weight), actually put gear in the back (which adds weight), and sometimes even tow a small trailer (which adds tongue weight), I would prefer a higher spring rate in the rear in order to better resist compressing. On the other end, the softer front springs would compress a little more, as compared to the PC springs, in which when combined with the weight of the winch, would possibly compress just enough to make up for the extra .25" lift of using a 3" spring over a 2" spring with a .75" spacer (which seems to be a popular "budget" lift on this forum). I too would prefer no to minimal rake and would also prefer to achieve the leveling/lift without spacers...hence the question about substituting a 2" lift and .75" spacer, which a lot of people on this board run, with a 3" front (which using my public school math comes out to .25" taller...not much). I have seen several individuals on this forum that have done the 3" front with 2" rear lift and was hoping they could give me a little insight as to achieving their desired result.

I do think I will take your suggestion and call though, I would be interested in their take and would like to know if there is a reason NOT to go with mismatched springs in order to level out the Jeep. Thanks for your reply.

I don’t see it as being mismatched. There is no reason not to if the ride height ends up where you want it. The so called 2” BDS springs netted me 2 inches lift in the front and over 2 1/2 inches in the rear. I did not like the forward rake and ended up swapping the fronts for the 3” springs.

C7955ABF-B60D-4EDE-B8F9-988C497740CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamesval035
A coil spring is defined by it’s free length and spring rate, nothing more. Just because someone labeled it as a certain lift height doesn't necessarily mean anything.

I run the BDS 3” in the front and 2” in the rear. I’ve had this combo for over 5 years now? It’s worked out really good for me. I don’t think I have had any sag, if I have it’s not much. My jeep sits nice and level. The coils still look brand new, they have a good coating on them. I don’t ever run a top since it’s my summer toy, my jeep I would say is on the lighter side. So not an apples to apples comparison to your set up.

Reactions: JoseA and dla
There are many o' spring with a lifetime guarantee. Virtually all of them.

I've no vested interest in any particular brand as we sell them all but for what you're trying to achieve I'd be calling more than just BDS.

I'd call if I were you...
JKS
Skyjacker
Rough country
Rancho

And BDS

And start explaining exactly what you want. No rake.
Can you do it without adding a poly lift...can you do it without mismatching springs.

You've got weight in the back. Do you have an an aftermarket tire carrier? Over sized spare on the carrier?
If you do...
You've got to be getting close to the weight of the winch and bumper out front.

I'd be doing everything I can to avoid running half a poly lift and mismatched springs.

I don’t see it as being mismatched. There is no reason not to if the ride height ends up where you want it. The so called 2” BDS springs netted me 2 inches lift in the front and over 2 1/2 inches in the rear. I did not like the forward rake and ended up swapping the fronts for the 3” springs.

View attachment 227268
Right...think about this a sec.

You aren't running accessories...have a bumper that is shortened so it's fairly close in weight to the factory unit.

Yet the BDS springs netted you a bunch of rake which the OP is trying to avoid.

I don't keep notes of what we installed over the years but I can tell you there are springs out there that will be damn near level without a poly aid and or mismatch but I can tell you they weren't BDS.

Pick the heaviest rear weight that you think your jeep will ever see, then pick a spring that you think will make you sit level with that weight. Nothing worse than going down the road all loaded up and blinding everyone with your headlights.

OME 2934 gave me a solid 3 inches of front lift (possibly a little more). I paired them with savvy 3 inch rear springs and there is definitely no rake. In fact I want the front to come down a smidge (hopefully putting a winch on the front does the trick). A little rake is a good thing for when you load up the back. My wife and I went on a trip recently and with all our stuff in the back of my jeep the front rode a lot higher than the rear - not ideal. Here's what the OME 2934's look like with new 33's..
OME 2934.jpg

There are many o' spring with a lifetime guarantee. Virtually all of them.

I've no vested interest in any particular brand as we sell them all but for what you're trying to achieve I'd be calling more than just BDS.

I'd call if I were you...
JKS
Skyjacker
Rough country
Rancho

And BDS

And start explaining exactly what you want. No rake.
Can you do it without adding a poly lift...can you do it without mismatching springs.

You've got weight in the back. Do you have an an aftermarket tire carrier? Over sized spare on the carrier?
If you do...
You've got to be getting close to the weight of the winch and bumper out front.

I'd be doing everything I can to avoid running half a poly lift and mismatched springs.
The only other weight adder I have that wasn't mentioned is my spare which is slightly oversized from the 30" stock (31x10.50 15).

I think we are on the same page with avoiding spacers which is why I initiated this thread. A slight rake is ok, I just don't want it to look like a drag car.

What springs would you recommend? You seem very anti-BDS yet haven't offered up a recommendation or exactly why not BDS. I see a lot of recommendations for Pro Comp and BDS on here for being very good for the price, this is why I gravitated towards those...BDS has softer front and stiffer rears, that is why I'm leaning towards them. This is not a hell bent situation, its a information gathering situation. Because it appears that you have installed many lifts over the years, and your memory is good enough to know BDS is not level, perhaps you can dig deep into your mental database and remember a good quality, budget friendly, 2" lift that leveled a basically stock TJ with just a couple minor weight adders. I appreciate your input. Thanks.

I was close to going 3” front and 2” rear BDS. I ended up going 2” BDS all around with the 3/4” spacer in front. There’s slight rake with my winch which is ok as it’s not an obnoxious rake. I was afraid I would net too much lift with the 3”. But in hindsight, it would have been fine once the springs settle. So basically I don’t think you can go wrong either way. If you have a winch AND steel bumper I would lean towards 3”.

View attachment 227268
Thanks for the reply. What shock you running? Any vibes?

I run the BDS 3” in the front and 2” in the rear. I’ve had this combo for over 5 years now? It’s worked out really good for me. I don’t think I have had any sag, if I have it’s not much. My jeep sits nice and level. The coils still look brand new, they have a good coating on them. I don’t ever run a top since it’s my summer toy, my jeep I would say is on the lighter side. So not an apples to apples comparison to your set up.
Thank you. You have any vibe issues? also what shocks did you run with this setup?

OME 2934 gave me a solid 3 inches of front lift (possibly a little more). I paired them with savvy 3 inch rear springs and there is definitely no rake. In fact I want the front to come down a smidge (hopefully putting a winch on the front does the trick). A little rake is a good thing for when you load up the back. My wife and I went on a trip recently and with all our stuff in the back of my jeep the front rode a lot higher than the rear - not ideal. Here's what the OME 2934's look like with new 33's..View attachment 227273
That's a good lookin rig, Sweet color.

Reactions: HornedToad
The only other weight adder I have that wasn't mentioned is my spare which is slightly oversized from the 30" stock (31x10.50 15).

I think we are on the same page with avoiding spacers which is why I initiated this thread. A slight rake is ok, I just don't want it to look like a drag car.

What springs would you recommend? You seem very anti-BDS yet haven't offered up a recommendation or exactly why not BDS. I see a lot of recommendations for Pro Comp and BDS on here for being very good for the price, this is why I gravitated towards those...BDS has softer front and stiffer rears, that is why I'm leaning towards them. This is not a hell bent situation, its a information gathering situation. Because it appears that you have installed many lifts over the years, and your memory is good enough to know BDS is not level, perhaps you can dig deep into your mental database and remember a good quality, budget friendly, 2" lift that leveled a basically stock TJ with just a couple minor weight adders. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
What I see on here is a lot of BDS users having to hodge podge some kind of set up to get what they're seeking....when all they're seeking is something simple. A mild lift with small to no rake. Yet most if not all say something like...
I installed it but didn't like the rake so I added spacers...or I took out the 2" springs and put in 3"...or whatever
In other words a lot of extra work when it could've just been done right from the get go.

I don’t know how much weight you're carrying over stock. Whats your winch/bumper weigh compared to the oem bumper.
Find that out....hardtop, rear carrier or one for the future??...

I would worry much less on the rate of spring and more on getting your added weights front and back and start making calls.

Just know this...

Customer service right now sucks industry wide. This fucking covid has people working more than normal or taking more calls...working at home (yes that annoys some people)everyone seems pissy right now so don't be discouraged if some of your calls have to be doubled up on.

If I get some extra time..(enjoying a lucky strike this second while takikg a break break from plowing more god damn snow) I'll try and check some we did or call some I personally wheel with.

Reactions: matkal