Bed line the tub or what?

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
So I've had my 06 Rubicon for almost 4 months now, it only has about 65000 miles and almost no rust. The worst visible is from a dent in the grille. The rest is just minor surface rust on the floors and the seam between the rear floor and the rear wheel well. I sanded that seam before I thought about taking pictures but it wasn't too bad and I'm going to do something just not sure what.
20180723_182422.jpg

I've been considering some sort of bedliner. Not too sure I want to do it myself. I found a guy that does Raptor liner and another place that does Rhino liner. Anyone have opinions on either or even others feel free to let me know what you think.

Also I've been wondering about the random thick, wide, rough and somewhat flexible " seam sealer" that seems to be spread around the floor at the factory probably ether early on a Monday or late of a Friday. Would it be OK to trim off the excess before some bed liner?
20180723_193528.jpg

Reactions: Codywmorgan
If it were me, I would get a wire wheel out, clean all of that surface rust up until it's gone (should be easy with a wire wheel), and then go over it with some quality silver spray paint (such as SEM), then put carpet back over it.

However, if you aren't a fan of carpet, then I would use bedliner. I'd still get rid of the rust first either way.

Reactions: Squatch and Xposure
X2 get rid of the rust. I'd also spray a good rust inhibitor on it...but I'd remove all the rust then spray the inhibitor (as opposed to spraying the rust with inhibitor as many people do). Then if you want to bed liner it or paint it, either is fine. The last thing you want to do is spray bed liner over that surface rust, it'll just grow over years where you can't see it under the bed liner spray.

Reactions: Squatch
I'd angle grind or even better sandblast what I could and the apply Phosphoric acid over whatever was left. Then prime and paint it. Definitely wouldn't bedline over it without treating it first tho.

Just ordered the UPOL Raptor kit after reading about several brands and seeing one done in the Raptor. Again, as others have said.... prep work is the key. Don't skimp on prep, get some self etching primer to go on metal first. Don't put liner over bare metal although I've had some tell me that is perfectly fine..... uh, negative for me. And the adhesion promotor they make should help in hard to reach places (so they say). I've never used anything like that but I figure I will do exactly as they say.

The only down side I've heard is that the liner makes it hotter in there than say putting carpet down over paint. Just what I've been told though, I have haven't experienced it. I figure if it's too hot I can put my carpet back in on top of it.

Reactions: tquig01
Here's my first recommendation - absolutely get rid of the rust before you bed-line it or put carpet back in. It will only get worse. Here is what I did on mine.

1- Sanded as much rust off as possible.
2- Paid attention to areas around the seam sealer. If the edges were loose, I trimmed them back until it was stuck down. Otherwise moisture will get trapped under (in some case there also was some rust under there already). I used an aftermarket seam sealer from Eastwood (https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-seam-sealer-cartridge.html) for areas that I had removed the old sealer to get at the rust.
3- I wiped the rusty areas with a good rust converter primer to make sure any rust that was left was ready for paint (https://www.vintagejeeps.com/p-2112-rust-sergeant-rcmp-quart.aspx)
4- I then painted the inside of the tub with 2 coats of POR15. It is not UV stable, so I knew I had to paint over it with something that was.
5- I used Monsta-Liner. I liked the texture the best and the choice of colors was nice. Some of the other bed liner products were too abrasive for my taste or weren't UV stable. Went on in a day. Super easy, Very consistent finish with a roller. I think it was about $200 with shipping and extra rollers (a must - they break down as you are rolling)

Now I have a tub with zero rust and I have no concerns that the rust will grow under the liner. I may put in a bedrug liner to help with sound. It was around $300 plus some hours and beers to do mine. A lot cheaper than having it professionally prepped and painted. I keep meaning to take a picture of it for my build thread. I will try to do it tonight.

<edit> Found some pics on my phone! Also forgot to add, foam earplugs work great to plug the bolt holes up while you are painting it!!
20180615_162140.jpg
20180615_162148.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for what's been posted so far. I should have mentioned that I'm going to attack the rust before doing anything. I've had people tell me that POR15 is needed. I don't think I have enough rust to use it. Maybe down in that seam but I don't even think that's enough. I've read that it doesn't adhere well to painted or bare metal unless it's been sandblasted to get a rough surface.

As for the stuff I called "the random thick, wide, rough and somewhat flexible " seam sealer" " some of which is in my second posted picture, I think it's probably OK to trim it off. I hope to not end up pulling any of it out of any seams and definitely will be painting over all the metal that probably wasn't even primered before that stuff was added.

As for bed liner, all I know so far is that the Rhino liner guy said it will fade from UV. He may have said I could get UV protected Rhino, if he did, it costs more. As for the Raptor liner, I've seen about a dozen vehicles done by at least two different places. Most were completely done on the exterior. All but one were mixed with paint to get color. It is much rougher than the Rhino liner.

I'm still looking for anyone's experience with any bed liner, good or bad. FWIW, I'm looking to get the whole interior done and thinking about having the bumpers, fender flares, and maybe the grill (after some body work) done.

Check out the monsta-liner. UV protected, less aggressive texture. Can be rolled or sprayed. Lots of colors to chose from and they will send you sample chips, although they are small.

http://monstaliner.com/

(no affiliation with them other than as a customer)

You can adjust the 'roughness' when spraying the Raptor by dialing your air pressure up/down on the gun (that they provide in the kit). One truck that I saw done had it fairly smooth in bed, but he did his steps/bars rough. Thought that was a neat selling point, being able to adjust it like that. I'm checking out that Monstaliner too now.... had not heard of it yet. :)

Reactions: tquig01
You can adjust the 'roughness' when spraying the Raptor by dialing your air pressure up/down on the gun (that they provide in the kit). One truck that I saw done had it fairly smooth in bed, but he did his steps/bars rough. Thought that was a neat selling point, being able to adjust it like that. I'm checking out that Monstaliner too now.... had not heard of it yet. :)
You can do the same adjustment with the Monstaliner too. I chose to just roll the inside of the tub because I was too lazy to mask everything for overspray but would definitely spray it if I was doing the outside.

I think you can't go wrong with either product as long as you get something UV stable and do a good prep job.

Reactions: MrClean
Thanks tquig01

You must have posted while I was typing. Your post is a perfect example of what I'm hoping for. Then you added a couple links and then pictures of the job you've done. Looks great!

Glad to help someone on this site- Lord knows I have used this forum for tons of info. It is my first goto, can't thank @Chris enough for running it.

If you look at the pics close, you will notice the foot well texture is a bit different than the back. I replaced the floors in the Jeep and put three coats on because I figured that area takes the most regular abuse. Probably not necessary but I figured this was the time to build in some added protection.

Reactions: Chris
The previous owner of mine Rhino lined it and it looks great. Pretty tough stuff too. I decided to add the Bedrug pre-formed interior carpet kit with heat shield because it can get really hot inside out here in the summer. Went in over the Rhino lined tub fine.

I used the upol raptor kit off amazon. I really like it. It gets hot if you squeeze you bare foot behind the pedals to stretch but other then that I love it.

Well I decided to start doing something towards improving the interior of my Jeep. I took the plug out that's about 1/2 way back on the driver side of the rear floor and while the size of the rusty area is much smaller than what's shown in my third picture, there is actually metal rusted away in this picture.
20180822_095841.jpg

Alright, before anyone thinks I'm flipping about about this, I'll admit that I realize this is so minor it almost doesn't matter. I also admit to wondering where else are very minor pieces of sheet metal missing. Hmm...

Alright, before anyone thinks I'm flipping about about this, I'll admit that I realize this is so minor it almost doesn't matter. I also admit to wondering where else are very minor pieces of sheet metal missing. Hmm...

If you can also sand the opposite side of the sheet metal tub drain hole, that would be good.

Reactions: Squatch
If you can also sand the opposite side of the sheet metal tub drain hole, that would be good.

I'm hoping the smallest wire wheel I can find will fit through all the drain holes with rubber plugs. I'm also contemplating prying out the metal plugs to do the same thing but they are so tight I'd hate to warp the floor while prying them out.

So I've had my 06 Rubicon for almost 4 months now, it only has about 65000 miles and almost no rust. The worst visible is from a dent in the grille. The rest is just minor surface rust on the floors and the seam between the rear floor and the rear wheel well. I sanded that seam before I thought about taking pictures but it wasn't too bad and I'm going to do something just not sure what.
View attachment 52308

I've been considering some sort of bedliner. Not too sure I want to do it myself. I found a guy that does Raptor liner and another place that does Rhino liner. Anyone have opinions on either or even others feel free to let me know what you think.

Also I've been wondering about the random thick, wide, rough and somewhat flexible " seam sealer" that seems to be spread around the floor at the factory probably ether early on a Monday or late of a Friday. Would it be OK to trim off the excess before some bed liner? View attachment 52309
Used raptorliner on mine love it so far!!!

9368BCFC-0C50-437A-BD14-C9AB7C386A69.jpeg