Bedliner vs Repaint Resale Value

05MDLJ

My LJ has a rust hole in the one fender and the paint on the hood is shot. The rest of the paint work is in decent shape.

Looking long term and for resale value. Would it be better to replace the fender with a stock fender and get the hood repainted. Or the other option was to replace the fenders with flat fenders and raptor line the entire body. I like the look and durability of the raptorline but concerned with longevity and potential resale hit.

101307636_773879293016339_4420114680136073216_n.jpg

I would guess that unless your Jeep is only a trail rig raptor lining would hurt resale. Flat fenders probably wouldn’t.
If it where me I would repaint the hood and flat fender it, or maybe a hood Louver would do it?

For resale purposes, I'd replace the fender with an OEM unit and paint the fender/hood the factory color. Once you start changing the look of the body you start narrowing down your potential list of buyers. It seems like most people want a fairly stock jeep that they can make their own.

The PO of mine (my daughter) had the same problem with the hood and minor issues in other areas. Decided to do the bed liner due to cost of professional painting and she only paid $4,500 for it to start with. So we thought it wasn't worth that much. Knowing what I know now I think she got a steal and would maybe rethink that decision. In the process of finishing the coating on the rest of the body now. Doesn't look bad at all. If you go that route make sure you use the right product that is rated for UV exposure on exterior body panels. Undercoating / bediner products will not hold up. I think a clean frame functioning TJ has a minimum value of $5k no matter what the paint job is. Consider what you want to get out of it. There will be buyers regardless.

I hate bedliner on Jeeps/trucks or anything in general.

It makes sense for a trail rig, but anything else it doesn't look good.

Reactions: TheGanzman
My personal opinion is that only kids and bros bedline the entire exterior of their vehicle. Now naturally that’s going to offend some people, but it’s just my opinion.

I think doing this to the exterior of a vehicle dramatically reduces resale value, unless you get some dumb kid who doesn’t know any better. Or a bro who wants to show off to other bros.

Paint= looks good and is common

bed liner= utilitarian and effective.

I know it would have to be one sweetheart of a deal for me to buy a bed lined anything. I like the look on my fenders, but the reason I went with bed-liner In the first place is it’s tougher and easier to touch up. Plus it’s just plastic fenders, some mineral spirts and I can be back where I started.

Reactions: rasband
Crows feet cracks are the worst. I have them on my LJ on both doors and part of the passenger side. Nowhere near as bad as the OP pic, but they're noticeable up close. They used to be somewhat hidden up until I decided to apply compound/polish/wax to the Jeep. The leftover residue dried white in the small cracks of the black paint :(

As for me, I'm going to be repainting it hopefully within the next year or two. I just need to decide which color to go with. A bed liner finish will definitely affect resale value and your buyer pool. Back when I was looking to get my first Jeep, I pretty much ignored any that had bed liner paint. Granted, they were few and far between.

Bedliner exterior will extremely reduce the buyer audience and i think they look like absolute dog crap... but holy SHIZA I just got a paint quote for the two sides of my 2005 F250, $8500!!!! Basically everything except the hood and the roof and this is from a known good-value painter. The dang paint is so bad it has to basically be taken down to bare metal. He came down to $5500 with no buffing. What I'm saying is you can spend a lot of money on paint and be careful in your painter choice or you will end up doing it twice!

For what it's worth those cracks on the hood generally wont be repaired by any body shop. The small hairline cracks under the clear go all the way down the the primer, you have to strip all the way down or they will re-appear just like @B00mb00m says. Because auto body shop rates are so high most will simply replace the hood with a new primed replacement. I think they are under $200 which doesn't buy much shop time. I'd do what you want now without respect to resale, hood and fenders aren't going to make or break you.

My LJ has a rust hole in the one fender and the paint on the hood is shot. The rest of the paint work is in decent shape.

Looking long term and for resale value. Would it be better to replace the fender with a stock fender and get the hood repainted. Or the other option was to replace the fenders with flat fenders and raptor line the entire body. I like the look and durability of the raptorline but concerned with longevity and potential resale hit.

View attachment 183047
Just a suggestion but have you considered wrapping it?.. I don’t have any experience with it but it seems to be popular and much lest costly then painting..

Reactions: Alex01
Just a suggestion but have you considered wrapping it?.. I don’t have any experience with it but it seems to be popular and much lest costly then painting..
Plasti dip it 😂 (not really)

tbh wrapping is a good idea! Tougher and cheaper. Last tule i looked it costs like 1,500 to wrap a whole car, plus you can pick whatever color you want.

Reactions: Hog
For what it's worth those cracks on the hood generally wont be repaired by any body shop. The small hairline cracks under the clear go all the way down the the primer, you have to strip all the way down or they will re-appear just like @B00mb00m says. Because auto body shop rates are so high most will simply replace the hood with a new primed replacement. I think they are under $200 which doesn't buy much shop time. I'd do what you want now without respect to resale, hood and fenders aren't going to make or break you.

That's unfortunate! I had no clue they'd go all the way down, damnit! Thanks for the info.

I also think the wrap is a good option. I think it can also be removed later.

So here's what the good UV resistant bed liner coating looks like. This has been on there probably 3 years now.

20200429_151524.jpg

1594506233490.jpg

I'm slowly removing the "college student" from it. Angry eyes are gone and the flag and stripe are my adds replacing random stickers that were there.

Reactions: MangoTango
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like bedliner is out. I may look at wrapping it with vinyl, just wonder how bad it'll look with all the scratches coming through.

I also don't have a photo of it, but a portion of the hood the paint flaked off down to bare metal. I shot it with spray paint to protect from rust but it still looks like its flaking more.

Reactions: Hog
That's unfortunate! I had no clue they'd go all the way down, damnit! Thanks for the info.
Once all the clear is gone it looks decent for a year or two, then the paint just starts flaking off down to the primer. It's fun to watch, I should have do a time lapse of some sort over the last 5 years.

My personal opinion is that only kids and bros bedline the entire exterior of their vehicle. Now naturally that’s going to offend some people, but it’s just my opinion.

I think doing this to the exterior of a vehicle dramatically reduces resale value, unless you get some dumb kid who doesn’t know any better. Or a bro who wants to show off to other bros.
Ouch :(

LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Having raptor lined my entire Jeep (It really is mainly a trail rig) I would say paint is far better for resale. The truth is like Chris said, some people don't like the look, and for a DD that gets to see some trails every once in a while you're not going to want to invest time to bed line the entire thing.