Beginner lift questions. Bone stock 2000 TJ Sport.

ArizonaRanger0311

Supporting Member
First post here, hello everyone.

Vehicle Info: 2000 TJ sport, 5 speed 4.0, bone stock with 51k miles.

Context: I've been sitting on this jeep for a few years now and only put 5k miles on it in six years. I was originally keeping it stock for resale purposes but I recently sold my truck and have been itching to get back into the AZ backcountry again. This rig will be used 60% off road and 40% pavement by guess and won't be a daily driver.

I am more or less set on adding a 3" lift to accommodate 33" tires for aesthetics and increased clearance so I can handle the diverse AZ landscape year round. I also chose this height so I could avoid SYE and not screw with the drive drain geometry too much. I'm willing to buy once cry once and I'm looking for longevity and ride comfort. I'd like to be happy with whatever I get for years to come.

The main questions:

1) There doesn't seem to be a clear cut "this is the best lift kit manufacturer". I've been out of the 4x4 loop for a while and don't know what manufacturers are on top. OME seem highly recommended but they only make up to a 2.5 kit I believe. I've been told rubicon express but they seem debated, same with skyjacker, rustys, and BDS. Who makes the most durable, comfortable product?

2) Should I get a kit that comes with control arms? I've seen recommendations both ways. Also including people saying the control arms provided in kits are trash anyway.
2a) Some 3" kits come with control arms, extended pitman arm, extended brake lines, transfer case drops etc, while others come with coils and shocks. Should I get an all inclusive kit? I did not understand why some kits would not include them if they're necessary for proper function.

3) Do I need to drop my transfer case with a 3" lift?

4) I hear everyone say "anything bigger than 33", you need to regear", but would it be beneficial to regear going from a 29" to a 33"?

I've been digging through forums for days now and I'm even more unsure than when I started. For every opinion I read, there is an equal number of people with the opposing view.
If anyone has already built what I described above, I would love to hear what you did right, and what you did wrong. And if there's a relative consensus on who makes the best product I just described, please let me know.

Thanks!

IMG_4077.JPG

I went with a JKS 3" Jspec kit because of the quality and it came with everything needed. Like everything everything.

I did the t case drop that came with the kit which was fine. But I ended up wanting more belly clearance with 33s, so I ended up doing a UCF no bodylift t case skid and an sye.

I did not re gear when I did the lift and went to 33s. Mine has 3.73s stock and an auto trans. It crawls well in the rocks and has reasonable rpm at 70 on the highway.