Beginning my Jeep Journey

WyattCrafty1

Hey, I'm new here, but I've always been a Jeep guy. I'm looking at a 1998 TJ and I'm just coming here to ask if there's anything to look out for on that specific model? Sport, 5-speed manual, 4wd, soft top.

I checked shock mounts, suspension, and frame. Engine in it is the 4.0, it's really tired though, and the seller is including a replacement engine, same one, from a Cherokee.

New clutch, transmission has been rebuilt, that's all that I know.

He wants 2,500 for it, because the body is essentially rusted out. There are a few spots that are rusted clean through.

Everything mechanically seems to be in order, and I'm asking to see what you all think. Should I sell my '97 Ranger and pick this guy up? Or should I go for a YJ that's a few thousand miles away instead?

Thanks!
-Wyatt

You can find replacement tubs for a grand or so. The engine from the Cherokee will take a little bit of work to put into your TJ but nothing too major (the oil filter has a 90* mount on the XJ). I just did a similar swap...it was a TJ motor that had been put into a 98 Cherokee and we had some trouble with sensors not matching up etc. Nothing you can't overcome, just something to be aware of.

I don't have the space to do a tub swap, so *I* would pass based on the rusty body. If the frame is solid and you have the space & wherewithal to to a tub swap, I say go for it. But I would be applying a lot of downward pressure on that price.

Reactions: Rickyd
I checked the frame for rust, it looked fine, I didn't see any cracks, and the guy asked a jeep mechanic about it as well, as he heard that it could be a problem. Mechanic said the frame was fine.

There’s a reason most here don’t take their stuff to mechanics.

You are exactly right-

I’ll add “a lot of reasons”.

It really ended up making me the owner a TJ needs I guess is one way to put it.

Recently had a complete new front end put under my F250-got it home and could not drive it - was so tight it was insane - Literally would not return to center at speed -

No grease. None. They never put a grease gun on the truck.

In addition to greasing everything with a zerk, drilled, tapped and added zerks to all new ends I could.

.....never been too afraid of tools ( Except that Excalibur thing that looks like a chainsaw you put on an angle grinder that I was scared to use) ....but being on here rubs off and have actually learned so much, and need to keep learning.

Last edited:
There’s a reason most here don’t take their stuff to mechanics.

Because I'm too tight to pay someone to do something I can do. It just hurts when I pay someone else.

You are exactly right-

I’ll add “a lot of reasons”.

It really ended up making me the owner a TJ needs I guess is one way to put it.

It's different strokes for different folks, but I can't begin to fathom owning a TJ and not expecting to do more or less constant work on it. Even if you had a mechanic who was completely reliable, it would have to be cost prohibitive for most folks. Unless you've got a Jeep of Theseus where literally everything has been replaced, you're kinda rolling the dice every time you turn the key.

But that's why we love it I guess. You need to be the owner your TJ needs is a great way to put it.

Reactions: Rickyd and AndyG
It's different strokes for different folks, but I can't begin to fathom owning a TJ and not expecting to do more or less constant work on it. Even if you had a mechanic who was completely reliable, it would have to be cost prohibitive for most folks. Unless you've got a Jeep of Theseus where literally everything has been replaced, you're kinda rolling the dice every time you turn the key.

But that's why we love it I guess. You need to be the owner your TJ needs is a great way to put it.

Good stuff. I’m going to start a thread on this.