Best aftermarket radiator now that OEM are all gone (2004 4.0)

Does anyone suggest electric fans and shrouds?

The fan and radiator work as a system. To switch to electric you'd need a radiator that was engineered for the airflow provided by an electric fan, which is much less than that provided by a belt driven fan due to reasonable constraints on current draw, wire sizing, etc.

Reactions: ColoJeep
Rock Auto
1994 Jeep 4.0 radiator (copper/brass construction)
CSF 2576 2 Row - Going for $270 at the moment
Do not waste your money on the 3 row. No added advantage, Wranglers actually seem to run better with the 2 row
Will fit all Jeep Wranglers from 1987 to 2006
Avoids the cheap Chinese aluminum knock off problems

I'm surprised this hasn't drawn more discussion.

Reactions: Zorba and teddill
I have a theory (obviously no hard evidence to support it though) that the biggest reason that the aftermarket “performance” radiators fail is not because of coolant pressures or temperatures, but more simply just flex in the body.

If you look at the radiator and the A/C condenser, they have very different mounting systems. The A/C condenser is mounted with the use of rubber isolation mounts which allow a small amount of movement between the grille and the condenser. However, the radiator is directly bolted to the grille.

The OEM radiator is probably designed for a certain amount of flex, or at least happened to pass testing. The aftermarket designers may not be aware of this, and simply adapted their other (otherwise successful) designs to the TJ.

If this is true, I would suspect that adding flexible mounts to an aftermarket radiator would significantly increase the lifespan of that radiator.

Another (similar) idea could be that the aftermarket radiators do not have adequate flexibility to accommodate the thermal expansion and contraction from routine use, and simply develop cracks and eventually fail instead. Essentially, as the radiator heats up, it expands, but the grille it is bolted to is the same size. Thus, the two end up imparting a lot of stress on one another, and the radiator, being made in part or wholly with aluminum, fatigues and eventually pops.

If I had to choose an aftermarket radiator, I actually would try one of the name brands like Mishimoto. But I would 3D print some flexible rubber mounts rather than mount it using the OEM bolts. More generally, I would make sure that it is free to flex in any direction, be it caused by thermal expansion, body flex, or even just vibration.

You need to study the mounting system for the OEM radiator and the grill shell some. The grill shell is very robust with very little flex in any direction since it is two heavily ribbed sections that are then slid together with a good bit of overlap and then spot welded together around the seam. Add to that the only bits which actually hold the radiator to the mounting flanges are 4 small #10 machine screws with the heads slid into slots cast into the plastic tank and it becomes very obvious that the shell does not flex or it would rip those right out.

The reason aftermarket radiators fail is due to shit quality, nothing else.

Reactions: Zorba
Which part?

The concept of using a YJ radiator that might be more robustly constructed and more easily repaired. The 2 row thing isn't what grabbed my attention, but being that it's copper may make up the difference vs a 1 row.

Reactions: Zorba
The concept of using a YJ radiator that might be more robustly constructed and more easily repaired. The 2 row thing isn't what grabbed my attention, but being that it's copper may make up the difference vs a 1 row.

Copper and brass in traditional construction methods suffer from the Achilles Heel that is lead solder with its horridly low thermal transfer rate. I'll reserve my testing and evaluation of them when they finally bring the new tech brazing and laser welded versions to market for automotive.

Blaine are there any high-end high-quality all aluminum radiators made for the TJ that cool as well as the Mopar for those where cost is not an issue?

Copper and brass in traditional construction methods suffer from the Achilles Heel that is lead solder with its horridly low thermal transfer rate. I'll reserve my testing and evaluation of them when they finally bring the new tech brazing and laser welded versions to market for automotive.

Oh, yeah that's no good. I would bet that's why this flattened tube style was never big in HVAC until they started making them from aluminum. Round tube/plate fin heat exchangers are mechanically bonded by expanding the tube into the fin so we don't have that issue.

Oh, yeah that's no good. I would bet that's why this flattened tube style was never big in HVAC until they started making them from aluminum. Round tube/plate fin heat exchangers are mechanically bonded by expanding the tube into the fin so we don't have that issue.

Yep, that and they had issues getting the copper tubes strong enough to withstand the higher pressures and keep them cost effective and light enough to be a decent solution. No one denies that copper has a better conduction rate but the rest of the issues are hard to overcome for high efficiency stuff. When the very thing that dictates a big chunk of the performance which is fin to tube contact is highly compromised at every connection with lead, it is not a good thing.

The furnace brazed fin to tube contact for the aluminum cores really helps to put them ahead in efficiency. I suspect that is one of the things that really helps the Setrab coolers we use work so well. They are just basically long skinny radiators like you see in vehicles.

Blaine are there any high-end high-quality all aluminum radiators made for the TJ that cool as well as the Mopar for those where cost is not an issue?

When I spoke to the guy at US Radiator https://usradiator.com/he FlowKooler said he could tool up to make TJ radiators if there were enough people interested. He didn't say how much except that it would be more the $400 that OEMs are going for, he considered $400 to be a "budget" priced radiator.

edit: I made a mistake, US Radiator does have TJ radiators, it was the FlowKooler guy I talked to.

US Radiator may have been discussed here on the forum, are they good? I seem to remember some bad reviews.

Last edited:

I'm aware of 2. One is the 2 row of 1" tubes made by Northern. It is and should be way down on the list of anyone considering one due to it being poorly designed and never test fit into a TJ with AC. You have to space it back off of the grill to clear the AC condenser and that gets it pretty close to the fan clutch button. But, it does work, it does cool very well and so far has lasted about 5 years or so.

The second one is one by CBR. They are custom, they are not cheap, they do work. I just can't stomach a grand for a TJ radiator and that was the pre-covid price.

I have a single row radiator in my 2000 jeep wrangler 4.2 now. Works fine below 90s but won't handle the heat. Puked the other day at 96 deg. After shutting it off in the Popeyes chicken place. Looked outside and watched it. I don't want to ruin my 2000 wrangler 4.2 with only 60,000 original miles. Her.

I have a single row radiator in my 2000 jeep wrangler 4.2 now. Works fine below 90s but won't handle the heat. Puked the other day at 96 deg. After shutting it off in the Popeyes chicken place. Looked outside and watched it. I don't want to ruin my 2000 wrangler 4.2 with only 60,000 original miles. Her.

Ummmm, did you retro fit that 4.2? Because our TJs have the 4.0 in them.

Last edited:
I have a single row radiator in my 2000 jeep wrangler 4.2 now. Works fine below 90s but won't handle the heat. Puked the other day at 96 deg. After shutting it off in the Popeyes chicken place. Looked outside and watched it. I don't want to ruin my 2000 wrangler 4.2 with only 60,000 original miles. Her
Ok, maybe it's a 4.0, original engine.

Same Napa brand that I mentioned in my post. 👍

Sounds like you need a different radiator.