Best budget option shocks for an XJ?

williambmac

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I'm looking to replace the shocks on my kids XJ. It currently has a 3.5" lift with Bilstein's and has a very hard ride.
It seems like Bilstein's are a favorite of just about everyone on all the other XJ forums. I'm looking for shocks that have a softer ride.
Just looking to see what others are running on their XJ's.

1999 XJ
3.5" zone lift
265/75/16 Falken Wildpeak A/T running 28psi

I have a 3” Zone lift and Rancho 5000X on a 1991 XJ Sport. I feel like the fronts are fine and the rear bounces down the road. I think it needs something firmer.

I have a 3” Zone lift and Rancho 5000X on a 1991 XJ Sport. I feel like the fronts are fine and the rear bounces down the road. I think it needs something firmer.

I was considering the Rancho RS5000 shock as an option. The Bilsteins that are currently on it are too firm.

Can’t say anything for xj specific but my bilsteins only rode well when I was driving across the country with prob close to 1k pounds on a tray and in the jeep. Rancho rs5000x are much better than the bilsteins. The paint they put on ranchos are as bad as it comes. They look like they’re 10 years old just from a single winter.

Reactions: JMT
Can’t say anything for xj specific but my bilsteins only rode well when I was driving across the country with prob close to 1k pounds on a tray and in the jeep. Rancho rs5000x are much better than the bilsteins. The paint they put on ranchos are as bad as it comes. They look like they’re 10 years old just from a single winter.

I hated having bilsteins on my TJ. You literally feel every pebble on the road. They made for quite the uncomfortable ride.
I may end up going with the rs5000x's, I was just seeing if there were any other decent options out there. I wish OME still made their original Nitrocharger shocks.

Reactions: The4bangertj