Best cargo / roof rack?

Mychals1988

I really like the current look of my Jeep but how about storage? Camping beach ect what do you find works best? Considering just a diamond plate tool box on a hitch mount?

Do you have a receiver hitch? If so, I used one, similar to the one below, for years when going to the beach. Mine would fit two large Rubbermaid Action Packer tubs. Thew tubs were weatherproof, and kept the sandy beach toys, etc. out of my vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011VP2DR0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For the tubs, each was secured with two nylon straps. I drove them from PA to the Outer Banks multiple times with no problems.

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping/...qQ-UltsswIkn3hEqUz4ki7XoPSr1Jsq4aAlDCEALw_wcB

Reactions: TJ Starting
Current look

B8162059-BAE9-409C-AAA2-5DB4A4B0C3FD.jpeg

B4459A11-5518-4482-89DA-7DB8C60A4EAD.jpeg

Reactions: TJ Starting and TJ2
I love my receiver hitch rack. I've used it often when taking supplies to the cabin. Extremely quick to install/take off, and hold up to 500lbs. They're also around $100Cdn, so probably almost free where you live :)
If you get a foldable one, make sure it can clear the spare tire.
Mine does not fold, but I only have it on when I need it.

I also have a roof rack - although it's not currently installed. So far, I've only used it for transporting a kayak/SUP, skis...and in theory, planks of wood. It's a lot more "annoying" to attach things up there than to the hitch rack.

(Can't install the Kongo roof rack since installing the Exogate - the larger hinges are in the way now. Hoping to find a solution this summer)

I have a GoRhino roof rack installed on my TJ. It has come in handy but to be honest, it's more of a pain than it's worth to get stuff up and down from the rack. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't get the roof rack.

I also have a hitch mounted rack that I love to use when camping.

Reactions: M35A2
I know a couple guys with different brand roof racks. If you must find a bunch more storage, that's the answer. I considered one, but once I rode in their jeeps there was no way I would personally go that route. They squeek, rattle, clunk, and are a pain when you don't need then them.

I love my receiver hitch rack. I've used it often when taking supplies to the cabin. Extremely quick to install/take off, and hold up to 500lbs.
Have you ever hauled any significant amount of weight? How did the Jeep handle it?

I'm hoping to haul a 275 lb jetski on the Jeep this summer. My 1/2 ton Chevy does it fine. And I plan on installing a Curt class III receiver on the Jeep (rated for 400 lbs. One concern is how light does the Jeep steering get?

I definitely think I’m going to avoid the roof rack and do a cargo rack. Thinking about getting a diamond plate tool box and rhino lining it on a hitch mount

Reactions: Airjunky
Which is more preferable? The hitch mounted cargo rack or the above the spare cargo rack? The hitch mounted seems like the cheaper route, but is it the better one?

I know a couple guys with different brand roof racks. If you must find a bunch more storage, that's the answer. I considered one, but once I rode in their jeeps there was no way I would personally go that route. They squeek, rattle, clunk, and are a pain when you don't need then them.

Cheap racks are loud and fit poorly; better-quality racks are usually much quieter.

Which is more preferable? The hitch mounted cargo rack or the above the spare cargo rack? The hitch mounted seems like the cheaper route, but is it the better one?

Neither is that great. If you mount a rack on the tailgate you're stressing the tailgate hinges and usually blocking your line of sight to the rear. If you mount a rack to a receiver hitch, you destroy your departure angle, which effectively confines you to level ground.

Cheap racks are loud and fit poorly; better-quality racks are usually much quieter.

Neither is that great. If you mount a rack on the tailgate you're stressing the tailgate hinges and usually blocking your line of sight to the rear. If you mount a rack to a receiver hitch, you destroy your departure angle, which effectively confines you to level ground.
@Sundowner it would be used for beach trips or weekend getaways. Wouldn’t have it on while off roading. I’m considering the hitch mounted style that folds up when not in use.

@Sundowner it would be used for beach trips or weekend getaways. Wouldn’t have it on while off roading. I’m considering the hitch mounted style that folds up when not in use.

If you're staying on pavement and don't need to get anything from behind the rear seat, the hitch mount is fine. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with a fold-up version; that's just going to 1) hit your spare tire, or 2) block your tailgate even more than it normally would. Mount it when you need it, remove it when you don't.

Reactions: jazngab
If you're staying on pavement and don't need to get anything from behind the rear seat, the hitch mount is fine. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with a fold-up version; that's just going to 1) hit your spare tire, or 2) block your tailgate even more than it normally would. Mount it when you need it, remove it when you don't.
Harbor freight cargo rack it is👍🏽