Best frame coating treatment for rust prevention?

I’m going to clean out the inside of my frame and drill drainage holes, and then doing Eastwood in the inside so crap that gets in there doesn’t hurt it. There’s a good guide by wade around.

My exterior is basically rust free and I’m not in a rust climate, the small spots I’m using zero rust but not really worried about the exterior.

Any concerns using POR15 when temps get below 50 degrees? I see that's the lowest recommend curing temp.... It's already cold in Indiana

All the coatings in the world won't beat washing it weekly. For surface rust, coatings will help some. But if you want to prevent internal frame rot (which is the biggest concern when it comes to TJ's), washing the inside of the frame twice a week is your best bet. It'll last forever that way.

Personally, I don't put any aftermarket coatings on my Jeep and I never will. Just wash the underside as much as you can. If it is warm enough, I'd just throw a sprinkler under the Jeep in the driveway. If it isn't warm enough, just head to the do it yourself carwash and go to town. I don't drive my Jeep all that often, so I'm going to start washing out the underside every single time I take it out in the winter.

Last edited:
Any concerns using POR15 when temps get below 50 degrees? I see that's the lowest recommend curing temp.... It's already cold in Indiana
In my experience 45 to 65 is ideal. It dries overnight if you leave it out in the driveway. This year is my 1st time to use fluid film, read it from one of Chris thread. I am a linseed oil user for 20+ years.

Reactions: IPerkWVU
All the coatings in the world won't beat washing it weekly. For surface rust, coatings will help some. But if you want to prevent internal frame rot (which is the biggest concern when it comes to TJ's), washing the inside of the frame twice a week is your best bet. It'll last forever that

Personally, I don't put any aftermarket coatings on my Jeep and I never will. Just wash the underside as much as you can. If it is warm enough, I'd just throw a sprinkler under the Jeep in the driveway. If it isn't warm enough, just head to the do it yourself carwash and go to town. I don't drive my Jeep all that often, so I'm going to start washing out the underside every single time I take it out in the winter.
Can you post some underbelly chassis photos for us to see? I may just do what you do. I am living in IA an apartment right now and no garage to do all the linseed oiling. Reason why I use the fluid film for this year for it does not drip.

Can you post some underbelly chassis photos for us? I may just do what you do. I am living in a apartment right now and no garage to do all the linseed oiling. Reason why I use the fluid film for this year.

My Jeep hasn't been taken care of in the past, even though it is one owner. My Dad never washed the thing once before he gave me the Jeep as my first car in 2015. I don't have much surface rust on my Jeep, but the frame is rotted out. I'll post some underbelly photos after my rust free, powder-coated frame is swapped in, but I don't think that'll tell you much.

"All the coatings in the world won't beat washing it weekly"

jodoncfrodo, look at what you just said - you broke my heart my man. You are trying to advise us, TJ enthusiast and all, proud with your way of taking care of your rig, which you believe that it's better than how we do ours. Now you confessed that your frame is rotted out. WTF?

"All the coatings in the world won't beat washing it weekly"

Boy, look at what you just said - you broke my heart my man. You are trying to advise us, TJ enthusiast and all, proud with your way of taking care of your rig, which you believe that it's better than how we do ours. Now you confessed that your frame is rotted out. WTF?

Maybe if your reading comprehension was a little better, you would understand that I haven't been the one taking care of my TJ for most of its life. It wasn't washed once for 14 years while it sat in salt, so it rotted out. If the frame had been regularly washed out like I recommend, it would be in perfect condition. If you think coatings are the way to beat rust, then by all means, coat your Jeep. I base my opinions on the extensive research that I've done regarding frame rust. Also, answer this. How did the factory coating hold up to salt? If coatings are the way to beat rust, why didn't the coating that Jeep put on at the factory work?

Frame rust is not hard to beat if you pay attention to it. If you don't pay attention to it, like my Dad didn't, you end up with a rotted out frame.

Last edited:
Maybe if your reading comprehension was a little better, you would understand that I haven't been the one taking care of my TJ for most of its life. It wasn't washed once for 14 years while it sat in salt, so it rotted out. If the frame was regularly washed out like I recommend, it would be in perfect condition. If you think coatings are the way to beat rust, then by all means, coat your Jeep. I base my opinions on the extensive research that I've done regarding frame rust. Also, answer this. How did the factory coating hold up to salt? If coatings are the way to beat rust, why didn't the coating that Jeep put on at the factory work?

Frame rust is not hard to beat if you pay attention to it. If you don't pay attention to it, like my Dad didn't, you end up with a rotted out frame.
But you have a f-ing rotten frame my boy!

But you have a f-ing rotten frame my boy!

Ah, so my frame that was coated at the factory and never washed out is rotten. That fact totally disproves my point that coatings won't prevent frame rot while washing the frame out will!

Please think this through for a second...

If I may simply add: washing / cleaning, keeping the salt and mud off of your frame as well as coating / lubricating w a petrol based or lanolin product will keep your Jeep longer than neglect. And the combo above is suggested for salted, snowy states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used linseed oil for over 15 years and do not have a rotten frame. That is a fact. You on the other hand has a rotten frame and that is a fact.

I have used linseed oil for over 15 years and do not have a rotten frame. That is a fact. You on the other hand has a rotten frame and that is a fact.

Both things you stated are true. But, in context, those statements do not say anything about my point of view, and you know that. You're just being a troll and not adding to the conversation at this point.

I wonder how well the inside of the frame is coated at the factory to begin with. I'd guess it's far less than 100% coated.

I do believe washing it out helps but I'm sure how much it helps varies depending on how often it's washed and how long it stays "clean"? Washing regularly helps considerably more on days that the road is dry than on the days we end up driving through some slush on the way home from the car wash.

On the other hand, washing may cause problems to coated surfaces by removing the coating. When it ends up so clean that it's uncoated that can't be good

I wonder how well the inside of the frame is coated at the factory to begin with. I'd guess it's far less than 100% coated.

I do believe washing it out helps but I'm sure how much it helps varies depending on how often it's washed and how long it stays "clean"? Washing regularly helps considerably more on days that the road is dry than on the days we end up driving through some slush on the way home from the car wash.

On the other hand, washing may cause problems to coated surfaces by removing the coating. When it ends up so clean that it's uncoated that can't be good

The factory coating is better than any coating you will be able to apply yourself. There is a reason people have to reapply their favorite coating yearly. The factory coating will stay for the life of the Jeep if you don’t let salt eat through it. And unless you use a pressure washer, you aren’t going to knock off the factory coating. It’s tougher than that.

Salt only causes an issue when you let it sit for a long time. This is why TJ frames have trouble with rust in the first place. Even low mileage TJ’s can have frame rust due to the fact they have never had their frames washed out. Salt sits in the bottom of the frame for years, eating away at the coating and then the metal. If you religiously wash out the frame, salt will never have enough time to do any harm to the factory coating. Aftermarket coatings really don’t do anything besides lock dirt and salt into your frame. And you’ll never be able to get full coverage on the inside of the frame anyways. You’ll find better results by just washing the frame out regularly.

The same basic premise goes for the body. If you constantly wash the body, you’ll never have any rust issues from salt. Salt needs to sit on the body for a fairly long amount of time to do any harm. The paint and clear coat should prevent rust, but does it really do that if you let salt sit on it for years? If you spray painted over a salty fender, would that stop it from rusting in the future? Of course not. That’s essentially what you’re doing with some of these coatings. You can help prevent minor surface rust with things like fluid film, but you will never prevent frame rot by coating it and leaving it for the winter.

I’ve known that the frame on my TJ has been on the way out for over two years. I only discovered within the last 3 months that it needs replaement ASAP. I thought I would have had 4 or 5 more years out of it. But what can you do? When a frame has sat with salt in it for 15 years, it’s going to rust through. I’m just happy I have a fresh powder coated frame sitting over at a shop waiting for my Jeep. I drop my Jeep off in just over 2 weeks. (And yes, powder coating is a much different idea than the regular coatings you can buy and apply yourself).

Seems like people don’t agree with me. But I would also bet that those people haven’t spent two years researching frame rust or organized a full frame swap. There are a lot of things I don’t know about when it comes to TJs. But one thing I’m confident I have some grasp on is frame rust.

Last edited:
If I may wade back into my own post, I think the heart of the debate here is that, because you started with a rusted frame, you don't have any evidence that "just washing it" prevents the frame from rusting. I agree that it doesn't prove "just wash it" doesn't work either.

On the other side, several people who "coat it annually" have rust free frames, which is pretty good proof that it works.

Also, bear in the mind, the factory coating is NOT intended to last forever. It is intended to last as long as necessary to a) avoid litigation b) fit the cost target and c) keep owners happy enough to buy another one. (probably in that order). If Jeep wanted the frame to last forever, it would be made of unobtainium and cost a left....arm.

Reactions: MikekiM