Best Junkyard replacement seat for Jeep TJ?

Kaptainkid1

TJ Enthusiast
I've been driving around in my Jeep TJ for the last year and realized coming from a fully loaded 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE with leather electric seats I want a cheap better Junkyard seat option in my Jeep TJ. I spent $200 for junkyard driver seat to match my current OEM fabric pattern and I feel I wasted that money!
I've been youtubing and google searching and can't find many threads or links regarding this mod.
I don't want to spend too much money on Corbeau aftermarket set up but a cheap option with my requirements.

So I'm looking for a seat with multiple adjustments, comfort, cheap, lumbar adjustment, possible leather, possible electric power option, possible seat air bags and a head rest.

So besides the backseat recline, I always like the leg lift option in my Pathfinder, it gave me the feel, comfort and stability while driving on rough roads. Having the option of the seat tilting back improves comfort in my opinion.

I saw a thread where a user put in 2003 Hyundai Tiburon leather seats. They look good and it was missing information on installing and cost.

picture.php_albumid=3124&pictureid=46451.jpg

If anyone can recommend a junkyard seat option,please give me the following information and pictures if possible.
1. Name of car and year?
2. How much did it cost?
3. Did you have to mod the mounting bracket?
4. Was leather an option in Junkyard seat.
5. I'm looking for black or grey leather seats.
6. Did you install electric seats and hooking up the electrically was it easy?
7. After installing the seat does it have any fitment issues, ie: doesn't tilt easy to let people in back seat, seat was too wide and bumps up on the center console, or height of seat was too low or too high. etc....
8. please post any links or picture to the seat mod on TJ.
9. Has head rest or just solid one piece seat backing.

Thanks-

I hope this thread can be a one stop shop for cheap junkyard seat replacement for TJ owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDB55
I believe WJ seats are a direct bolt on to the TJ seat frame. Someone on here did the conversion and said it was a direct swap.

I would almost guess that XJ and ZJ seats would do the same. Lots of those available in local junkyards than TJs. I see a lot of part-out Cherokees on CL too. My grandma’s WJ seats are extremely comfortable. Those would probably be right in line with what you want.

Measure the bolt pattern on your TJ seats and compare to some junkyard ones.

Last edited:
This is the thread that details the picture you found. The OP did a nice job of finding a good junkyard swap.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-hyundai-tiburon-seats-in-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.2997/
I added the same seats and it was very easy. I got my seats for $150 and spent about $25 on the brackets.

View attachment 117735
What year car did that come from? Does the seat tilt? Do you have any dash lights to come on? I believe the Jeep has a sensor. Did you move the sensor over to the new seats?

What year car did that come from? Does the seat tilt? Do you have any dash lights to come on? I believe the Jeep has a sensor. Did you move the sensor over to the new seats?
I'm not sure who you're asking these questions of but I'm the original poster of the thread that 06lj provided above. The picture you used in your original post is of my '03 TJ. We, along with others, have installed Hyundai Tiburon seats and agree that it's an easy and inexpensive job. I have also installed them in my '04 LJ and '95 XJ.

To answer your questions in your post #4 ...

What year car did that come from? … 2003. Not sure what other years work but if they look like the ones above you should be OK.

Does the seat tilt? … The Tiburon seat back tilts forward but the original Jeep flip forward function will not work. I'm about to install a new set in my LJ and am fabricating a system to activate the original Jeep mechanism so they will flip forward.

Do you have any dash lights to come on? … No

I believe the Jeep has a sensor. Did you move the sensor over to the new seats? ... If you mean the seat belt sensor, I didn't bother with it.

Is there any cross reference model / year listing for jeep seats out there? My 02 has it’s oem seats that are not great but ok and in vg condition but lack a headrest. I would like to upgrade.

I'm not sure who you're asking these questions of but I'm the original poster of the thread that 06lj provided above. The picture you used in your original post is of my '03 TJ. We, along with others, have installed Hyundai Tiburon seats and agree that it's an easy and inexpensive job. I have also installed them in my '04 LJ and '95 XJ.

To answer your questions in your post #4 ...

What year car did that come from? … 2003. Not sure what other years work but if they look like the ones above you should be OK.

Does the seat tilt? … The Tiburon seat back tilts forward but the original Jeep flip forward function will not work. I'm about to install a new set in my LJ and am fabricating a system to activate the original Jeep mechanism so they will flip forward.

Do you have any dash lights to come on? … No

I believe the Jeep has a sensor. Did you move the sensor over to the new seats? ... If you mean the seat belt sensor, I didn't bother with it.
Thsnks for the follow up. Info will help greatly.

I'm surprised we don't have any other option of Junkyard seats other people have swapped out. Not a fan of Jeep Grand Cherokee replacement. I'm considering the Tiburon sport bucket seat since I like multifunctional aspect and looks. Wish to hear from other people's choice for this cheap mod.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.