Best M/T tires for a rock crawler in 2021

suicideking

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Size Needed: 37 X 12.5 X 17

I'm going to need tires soon and nothing is available. I probably have 6 months to a year so don't want to wait until I have a flat and am forced to buy somehting I don't want. I'm looking for a tire that is best for rock crawling on a rig that drives to and from the trail, not a DD.

I've had mostly GY MTR. No complaints on the trail, but many complain about balancing issues. They also seem to wear out fast.

I'm looking for a list of 5+ acceptable tires considering they're so hard to find right now. I see some MT Baja MTZ available right now. Any opinions on those? They're the only MT in stock right now that I can find.

Baja Boss - Also an option?

Others I've considered:

Nitto Trail Grappler - I've heard good things about these other than they are heavy. I've heard they wear well and last a long time.

Super Swamper - Which one would be best

Cooper STT Pro - I had these in a 35 and they were good, but looked small compared to the MTR

BFG Krawler - I've heard these are great, but super expensive
KM3 - Don't know much about this one. I know the KM2 sucked with weak side wall and ran really small.

Last edited:
If I ever replace my current GY MT/R tires, since the 35x12.50r15 is no longer available, I'd probably take a second out on my house and buy a set of BFG Krawler blue labels.
Smallest I can find those in, Jerry, are 37's. I know that is what the OP is requesting, but I know you're running 35's.

Size Needed: 37 X 12.5 X 17

I'm going to need tires soon and nothing is available. I probably have 6 months to a year so don't want to wait until I have a flat and am forced to buy somehting I don't want. I'm looking for a tire that is best for rock crawling on a rig that drives to and from the trail, not a DD.

I've had mostly GY MTR. No complaints on the trail, but many complain about balancing issues. They also seem to wear out fast.

I'm looking for a list of 5+ acceptable tires considering they're so hard to find right now. I see some MT Baja MTZ available right now. Any opinions on those? They're the only MT in stock right now that I can find.

Baja Boss - Also an option?

Others I've considered:

Nitto Trail Grappler - I've heard good things about these other than they are heavy. I've heard they wear well and last a long time.

Super Swamper - Which one would be best

Cooper STT Pro - I had these in a 35 and they were good, but looked small compared to the MTR

BFG Krawler - I've heard these are great, but super expensive
KM3 - Don't know much about this one. I know the KM2 sucked with weak side wall and ran really small.
I went through a similar search. After talking with the guys at interco and their suggestion for best non sticky rock tire was the irok (us made one).

Are you street driving also? If not get stickies.

Baja bosses have been a great driver plus rock tire so far.

Have they really been officially discontinued? Goodyear always seems difficult to get but gone for good sucks. 31" MTRs have always been really difficult to source, I would not be happy if I couldn't run them in the future.
After several weeks of them trying to find me a replacement 35x12.50r15 MT/R, GY told me via their FB page that it had officially been discontinued.

I went through a similar search. After talking with the guys at interco and their suggestion for best non sticky rock tire was the irok (us made one).

Are you street driving also? If not get stickies.

Baja bosses have been a great driver plus rock tire so far.

Yes, I don't have a trailer and drive to and from the trails. I'll keep an eye out for the Interco too.

I've never ran them, but curious if anyone has experience with the Falken Wildpeak MT?

I just bought some general grabber x3s in a 315/70R17 (35x12.5-17). Decent availability, but not sure on the 37s. I've heard nothing but good about them, but haven't run them yet to be able to personally back them.

My current tires are BFG all terrains but I am thinking of swapping to Milestar Patagonias MT's or the Nitto Trail grapplers.