Best non-LED headlight option?

My ‘48
a923f18a4e4b6b8c6a7815aaa79e34c8.jpg

Hella E-Code buckets for @ $75 then add your favorite H4 bulbs. Standard H4s were such an improvement over the sealed beam, I didn't see the need to go with higher watt bulbs which would require upgrading the wiring harnesses. I think I went with the mid-grade Sylvania Xtra-Vision since the Silverstars don't seem to last too long in other applictions.

I don't know if they're the 'best' but I installed KC HiLites H4 headlamps in my TJ and will say they're a great value for the money. My night time off-road driving consists of returning to camp when hunting (sometimes through some sketchy terrain but no crawling) and my factory lights worked but were horribly dull, which seems to be the norm.

I don't have or need auxiliary lights, didn't want to spend a lot and was a little skeptical given the price difference between the KC's and most of the other name brand options. The wattage output is +2.5x greater than the factory lamps, they cast a much better beam pattern and are DOT approved. For the $111 I paid for the pair, and my intended use, they've been a great value.

Reactions: Squatch
Can you provide a link for the Hella E Codes that you’ve used? I see 7” and 178 mm models which are about the same thing. Thanks.

I’m considering doing the H4 upgrade because it’s way cheaper than the LED’s and also looks like normal headlights. I don’t like the look of most LED lights on TJ’s

Reactions: RussTJ
I don’t really care for the looks of most LEDs either. I do like the light output of them though. Maybe I’ll change my mind over time. I have been considering the Quadratech LED tails, but still haven’t gotten myself to pull the trigger yet. : )

I’m considering doing the H4 upgrade because it’s way cheaper than the LED’s and also looks like normal headlights. I don’t like the look of most LED lights on TJ’s

That’s why you get Truck Lites. They “look” like normal headlights.
You get what you pay for.

797b06c33a574a2ca9b3f426e22ba0c3.jpg

I don't like the look of the kind of LED lights that look like a fly's eye with the cluster of small LEDs but the LED headlights I have look like the ones immediately above. They look fine to me as an old guy who likes the traditional look too.

I've used both the Cibié and Hella housings, and although I personally prefer the Cibié, they're admittedly more finicky in regards to bulb selection. I like the pattern from Philips bulbs the best; Osram is okay, but neither offer artifacts in that housing. Hellas don't throw as nice of a pattern as the Cibié, but they offer more latitude in bulb selection insofar as "acceptable" is concerned...so it'll be easier to get nice results from them. I've found that the 4200K-ish bulbs provide good color rendering from both housings, and - as mentioned - you really want to upgrade your harness; with inadequate voltage, you get inadequate results. Be especially conscious of your grounds, and don't skimp on quality relays. If you want a one-stop-shop, contact Daniel Stern.