Best online place to sell a vehicle now?

Rick Flair

Domari Nolo
Supporting Member
I always used CL, but looking now they charge and it only seems like dealers are using them. I thought about CarGurus and don’t mind paying a fee but I’d like the most exposure possible.

Advice? Been a while since I sold a
vehicle. I mean, my boat and motorcycle went through CL....

Craigslist seems dead or all scammers. FB marketplace is good but it seems like things get lost in searches. Plus, it’s super annoying to answer the same dumbass questions you already wrote in the ad. Or answer “is this still available?” 100 times.
I have had decent luck buying/selling there though. I’d start there before paying any fees.

FB marketplace if you want to deal with normal people. If you want to get absolute top dollar and put money and effort into it I'd look into Autotrader as well. I look at what the overpriced dealerships use, that's a good example of what works. I see them using FB, CL and Autotrader. I've never looked in detail at Car Gurus but after reading this thread I will.

The local NBC affiliate here in UT has a robust Craigslist-like classified site - everyone here uses KSL.com to sell stuff, Craigslist is an afterthought out here.

I always used CL, but looking now they charge and it only seems like dealers are using them. I thought about CarGurus and don’t mind paying a fee but I’d like the most exposure possible.

Advice? Been a while since I sold a
vehicle. I mean, my boat and motorcycle went through CL....

Depends on the vehicle as well. Autotrader, cars.com, Facebook MP for general cars, and if you have a niche car go to the for sale car's forums.

Thanks for the insight!

Nothing special, just my F150.

One recommendation is to set up a new email for this, and also a phone number. I used this app called Sideline that disguises your phone number. You will get a lot of calls, from buyers to sales people trying to offer to sell your F150 for you. Gets real annoying.

F150 sort of has a niche value. Landscapers and snow plowers, they are potential cash buyers as well.

Good luck with the sale

One recommendation is to set up a new email for this, and also a phone number. I used this app called Sideline that disguises your phone number. You will get a lot of calls, from buyers to sales people trying to offer to sell your F150 for you. Gets real annoying.

F150 sort of has a niche value. Landscapers and snow plowers, they are potential cash buyers as well.

Good luck with the sale

Good idea. I’ll check that out for sure. Had that happen with my boat, it was damn annoying.

Reactions: skrelnik
I look at Facebook market place a lot. I've noticed a few scams but since I'm not buying anything it's not a big deal.

There is a lot of too good to be true cars and trucks by power Buick in Peoria AZ. When you google their real site none of the cars are listed.

Yes I look all around the country, I really need to get a life.

Craigslist seems dead or all scammers. FB marketplace is good but it seems like things get lost in searches. Plus, it’s super annoying to answer the same dumbass questions you already wrote in the ad. Or answer “is this still available?” 100 times.
I have had decent luck buying/selling there though. I’d start there before paying any fees.

I have sold a lot of vehicles over the years. I buy them, recondition them, drive them for a while and the flip for fun and extra cash to pay for my car addiction.

I honestly didn't think people could get any dumber than Craigslist years ago, but somehow Facebook has topped Craigslist by a country mile.

I got two extra tops with this last TJ I bought, so I listed them on Facebook. I listed one as "New" which it was and that it was for a Jeep TJ. I got questions like:

"What year Jeeps will it fit?"
"Will it fit my 4 door Jeep?"
"What condition is it in?"

However to be fair, I have sold almost all my leftover Jeep parts on there and it has been worth it. It's kept the price on this latest Jeep "build" very low.

Reactions: Rick Flair