Best option for rear axle

CodyMan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Wondering if it would be a better option to beef up the existing dana 44 that I have, or just replace it for a different axle and do less to it.

Wondering if it would be a better option to beef up the existing dana 44 that I have, or just replace it for a different axle and do less to it.
Without context it’s difficult to answer your question.

The factory 44’s while small tubed and narrow, are decent up to 35’s depending on your driving style and other modifications.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
Your factory Dana 44 is more than up to 35's and if you're doing really tough trails with a locker, all it needs is a replacement 30 spline 4340 axle shaft like from Revolution Gear. Bigger than 35" tires requires replacement of both axles.

Your factory Dana 44 is more than up to 35's and if you're doing really tough trails with a locker, all it needs is a replacement 30 spline 4340 axle shaft like from Revolution Gear. Bigger than 35" tires requires replacement of both axles.
Well I am kind of thinking about 36-37 inch in the future. Also no doubt the dana 30 will leave.

Without context it’s difficult to answer your question.

The factory 44’s while small tubed and narrow, are decent up to 35’s depending on your driving style and other modifications.
I have a pretty easy going driving style, and it's stock besides tires/lift.

Last edited:
Well I am kind of thinking about 36-37 inch in the future. Also no doubt the dana 30 will leave.
The TJ Dana 44 isn't up to those sizes either if you're using them on trails tough enough to require those sizes. Extending the wheelbase is usually recommended for 37's too.

The TJ Dana 44 isn't up to those sizes either if you're using them on trails tough enough to require those sizes. Extending the wheelbase is usually recommended for 37's too.
That's kind of what I was thinking, and I will stretch it before I go to that size. I am just trying to make a list of things I need to do.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's kind of what I was thinking, and I will stretch it before I go to that size. I am just trying to make a list of things I need to do.
37’s are almost an inbetween tire size when it comes to axles. It’s a little too big for the old gen Dana 44’s and not big enough for one tons, although I would go one tons after 35’s.

Another great option is a fabricated 9” inch housing. Its basically between a 1/2 ton axle and a 1 ton axle. They can be built many different ways and some have the same amount of ground clearance or more than the Dana 35.

Reactions: Irun and JMT
37’s are almost an inbetween tire size when it comes to axles. It’s a little too big for the old gen Dana 44’s and not big enough for one tons, although I would go one tons after 35’s.

Another great option is a fabricated 9” inch housing. Its basically between a 1/2 ton axle and a 1 ton axle. They can be built many different ways and some have the same amount of ground clearance or more than the Dana 35.
What would be the best option for that, getting a fabbed one or get one from a ford and mod it.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
What would be the best option for that, getting a fabbed one or get one from a ford and mod it.
IMO, the legacy Ford 9 stuff isnt worth the trouble. Piss metal and poor welds. Again, my opinion.

There are a lot of companies offering Fab 9’s and you could build it from mild to wild depending on your build plans and budget. And they can be ran as front axles or rear axles.

Trail gear offers a Rock Assault 9 at a very affordable price and is super popular. Once I find another TJ for dailying, I’ll prob run a trail gear 9 in the rear.

You can run 1/2 ton ends for semi float, full float ends, and even unit bearing full floaters.

TrailGear, Spidertrax, and Currie all offer great off road/rock crawling fab 9’s.

I just finished a set of Spidertrax 9’s for my YJ build. Thread is in the build thread area of this forum.

Reactions: CodyMan
IMO, the legacy Ford 9 stuff isnt worth the trouble. Piss metal and poor welds. Again, my opinion.

There are a lot of companies offering Fab 9’s and you could build it from mild to wild depending on your build plans and budget. And they can be ran as front axles or rear axles.

Trail gear offers a Rock Assault 9 at a very affordable price and is super popular. Once I find another TJ for dailying, I’ll prob run a trail gear 9 in the rear.

You can run 1/2 ton ends for semi float, full float ends, and even unit bearing full floaters.

TrailGear, Spidertrax, and Currie all offer great off road/rock crawling fab 9’s.

I just finished a set of Spidertrax 9’s for my YJ build. Thread is in the build thread area of this forum.
Thank you for the info! (y)

There's maybe a handful of people here that run over 35" tires. Personally I'd call Genright. They have been providing huge support and resources for running big tires on our platform and I think you'll get good info. Worth a try. Nothing wrong with info here but it's what I'd do.

Reactions: CodyMan
There's maybe a handful of people here that run over 35" tires. Personally I'd call Genright. They have been providing huge support and resources for running big tires on our platform and I think you'll get good info. Worth a try. Nothing wrong with info here but it's what I'd do.
I'll have to look into that!

To follow up, I mentioned old generation 44’s in post #8.

The JK and JL Dana 44’s would also be a good fit for 37’s. They would deff be a better fit for 37’s than the TJ stuff. It’s honestly half assed the way they did the 44’s for TJ’s and LJ’s.
And of course the newer Dana 44’s have really big brakes.

But for comparison. The smaller TJ/LJ 44 stuff vs the new bigger updated Dana 44 stuff.
258ED633-1E3B-41DF-A3D9-B00D3A5E811A.jpeg
FFFAA18B-4B2F-4F1C-99B9-CD6C62DFA10F.jpeg
D29D966A-1B45-4BDC-A38B-6C061FD11D1A.jpeg

Last edited:

The JK and JL Dana 44’s would also be a good fit for 37’s. They would deff be a better fit for 37’s than the TJ stuff. It’s honestly half assed the way they did the 44’s for TJ’s and LJ’s.

But for comparison. The smaller TJ/LJ 44 stuff vs the new bigger updated Dana 44 stuff.
View attachment 294751View attachment 294750View attachment 294749

My Dana 44 feels inadequate ☹️

View attachment 294751View attachment 294750View attachment 294749
Well maybe I will do like a Dynatrac ProRock 44 in the front and a 9 inch in the back, but I'm not sure what I will do at this point. 😄

Well maybe I will do like a Dynatrac ProRock 44 in the front and a 9 inch in the back, but I'm not sure what I will do at this point. 😄
Yea the pr44 and Curries rock jock 44 is nice.

Currie us cast in china or overseas, dynatrac is not.

The Ultimate Dana 44 shouldnt be ruled out, its deff worth looking at. I havent done the research on it personally but Dana builds really nice stuff.

Reactions: Irun