Best rear bumper

All that is asking a lot of a bumper. If you feel you must carry a Hi-Lift, a good place for that is mounted across the rear rollbar bases using some big u-bolts. Inside is better than outside where Hi-Lifts will rust. Same with gasoline cans on a bumper, they are heavy and between their weight and the spare tire's weight is going to push any bumper hard. Reconsider your need to carry extra cans of gasoline. I wheel in the boondocks/desert and figured out years ago that simple fuel management was better than carrying 75 lbs. of gas and cans around. I used to carry 5 gallon jerry cans myself but it wasn't long before I figured out they weren't needed and just excess weight. The bottom line is if you're not doing long multi-day overland runs you really don't need to carry the weight of jerry cans full of gas.

The extra weight from carrying extra gas can often cause more problems than you'd expect. Especially if you carry the gas up high. Think center-of-gravity. Even some long multi-day trails like the Rubicon Trail don't require TJ owners to carry extra gas, TJ owners always make it to the end with plenty of gas left. Here's one thread that kinda talks about it... https://wrangler*forum/f55/rubicon-trail-tips-248082-2.html Remove the asterisk in that URL to read the thread.

For a bumper and spare tire carrier, check out www.thedirtworx.com. I've run two of his rear bumpers and not only are they strong and well made, they're made here in the US. He added one that has a spare tire carrier on it a couple years ago and it has received some good reviews. Many others like from Smittybilt are cheap Chinese imports and generally won't hold up for long so be wary of what you buy

Here's what can happen with a poorly designed bumper/spare tire carrier. This is a Smittybilt.

Smittybilt tire carrier fell off.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KCNoDots and KCsTJ
Jerry Cans 2.jpg

On the beach at Samoa Dunes.jpg

Rock Hard 4x4 bumper with frame tie-ins and jerry can mounts:

See: http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-c.htm

While it is true that carrying extra fuel is usually unnecessary when one is taking day runs from a base camp, there are many multi-day trails and remote offroading areas in the western states where extra fuel is mandatory unless one is using an aftermarket fuel tank such as the Genright "Extended Range" gas tank (pricey). It really depends upon how and where you use your jeep. Everyone's needs are different and what works for a stripped down rockcrawler doesn't necessarily work for a long range overlander. You need to decide what you require for your particular situation.

The Rockhard 4x4 rear bumper is well made and easily handles the weight of a 48" Hi-Lift jack (28#), 5 gal, gasoline (32#), 5 gal. water (42#), and a 35" tire on an aluminum wheel (105#) - about 207# plus the weight of the bumper and tire carrier itself. The key is to use the optional frame tie-ins and rear springs with the proper spring rate for the load. I have had no issues with mine even on technical trails and severe off camber situations, although if I were spending the day on a non-stop tough trail such as Clawhammer (which I have run in a CJ with rear mounted jerry cans but not in my present jeep) I would be inclined to only partially fill the jerry cans to reduce some of the weight. "just in case."

Whichever rear bumper you choose, with or without jerry can or hi-lift mounts, don't skimp on quality to save a buck. A Judge Marilyn Milian on the People's Court likes to say, "Lo barato sale caro. The cheap comes out expensive.”

Reactions: Igoo65 and psrivats
The one you build yourself.....that is my favorite....

I agree.

This is the best shot I have of the custom built rear bumper with tire carrier and can rack on my CJ-7 (Rubicon Trail circa 2000). Several of us in my jeep club had identical units. It was hinged on each side and swung out from the middle - 3 jerry cans on the left and the spare on the right. I liked the ability to carry 10 gal. fuel and 5 gal. water or 10 gal. water and 5 gal. fuel as my needs dictated.

Rubicon2000-1.jpg

Agreed on putting the jack across the rear of the cage. This assumes you need one on the first place. I don't know anyone who actually wheels their jeep that carries one.

I bought a carrier that holds two jerry cans thinking I would use it all the time exploring Colorado. 5 years later, I rarely make use of it. I have never needed the extra gas when I thought I would, but never had it with me the few times I could have needed it. Regardless, I have never run out of gas anywhere despite having put in over 19 gallons more than twice. I did pick up a nice blue 5 gal water can that I will carry far more often than a gas can.

If you really feel the need, find a carrier that keeps the cans low and close to the tailgate behind the spare.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
My opinion on rear bumpers are that the best ones don't include built in tire carriers. I realize many will disagree with me on this, but I have yet to see a single rear tire carrier bumper in which the tire carrier isn't starting to sag, or isn't difficult to open. I'm not saying one doesn't exist, but it certainly isn't one of those Chinese pieces of crap you see on eBay, Amazon, or Extreme Terrain (cough, cough... Barricade).

Agreed on putting the jack across the rear of the cage. This assumes you need one on the first place. I don't know anyone who actually wheels their jeep that carries one.

I bought a carrier that holds two jerry cans thinking I would use it all the time exploring Colorado. 5 years later, I rarely make use of it. I have never needed the extra gas when I thought I would, but never had it with me the few times I could have needed it. Regardless, I have never run out of gas anywhere despite having put in over 19 gallons more than twice. I did pick up a 5 gal water can that I will carry far more than a gas can.

If you really feel the need, find a carrier that keeps the cans low and close to the tailgate behind the spare.
I agree 100% with all of that.

Last edited:
My swing out doesn't sag and is easy to close. However, I did need to completely redesign the entire latching mechanism from the dumb method the manufacturer came up with.

Sometimes I do think about changing to a slimmer and lighter carrier and bumper than what I have.

Reactions: MaloStapalo
My swing out doesn't sag and is easy to close. However, I did need to completely redesign the entire latching mechanism from the dumb method the manufacturer came up with.

Sometimes I do think about changing to slimmer and lighter carrier and bumper than what I have.

I have to assume then that yours uses some sort of high quality bearing in it (maybe something similar to the unit bearing you'd find on a TJ front axle)? The cheaper ones I've seen may not even have bearings, I'm not sure. All I know is that all of them sagged and didn't open very smoothly.

I have to assume then that yours uses some sort of high quality bearing in it (maybe something similar to the unit bearing you'd find on a TJ front axle)? The cheaper ones I've seen may not even have bearings, I'm not sure. All I know is that all of them sagged and didn't open very smoothly.

The hinge is a trailer hub with two big bearings on a thick spindle.That's the only problem free part of the carrier. While it never sagged, it did bounce terribly until I added a shim to the latch side. And the original latch and gas can carriers were idiotic. Even the HiLift mounts were stupid. Nate's 4x4, btw. Somewhere in my build thread I discuss it more, along with my various fixes over the years.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
The hinge is a trailer hub with two big bearings on a thick spindle.That's the only problem free part of the carrier. While it never sagged, it did bounce terribly until I added a shim to the latch side. And the original latch was idiotic. Nate's 4x4, btw. Somewhere in my build thread I discuss it more, along with my various fixes over the years.

Gotcha. That explains a lot then. The cheaper ones don’t have those hubs on them, I’m not even sure they have real bearings in them. The one that came on my TJ when I bought it was a piece of crap, but again, no bearings, so I’m not surprised.

jjvw said:

I wheel my jeep an average of 10 days each month and I carry a Hi-Lift. I'm not sure that I would purchase one, but I won this one in a raffle decades ago and might as well carry it as leave it leaning up against the wall in my garage gathering dust. As I've mentioned in other posts, its been rebuilt to keep it in "as new" condition more times than it's been used but those rare occasions its been needed I was glad I had it..

jjvw said:
I have never needed the extra gas when I thought I would, but never had it with me the few times I could have needed it.

Amen to that. Not having a full jerry can one time I needed it badly is the reason why I ensure that I fill it when filling the jeep's tank before a run. Better to be prepared than not.

Ironically, just two weeks ago I was on a trail near the Lava Beds National Monument northeast of Mt. Shasta and encountered a jeeper in dire need of gasoline. I used the jerry can that permanently resides on my rear bumper/tire carrier to give him enough fuel to make it back to the highway.

Sometimes its someone else who needs the extra fuel.

My jeep is a daily. Constantly carrying 33lbs of spare fuel and a 25lb jack to the grocery store doesn't work for me. Maybe if I lived in Alaska. :)

If I head out camping, I'll put on a full water can and an empty gas can, mostly because it is easy,

. . . I have yet to see a single rear tire carrier bumper in which the tire carrier isn't starting to sag, or isn't difficult to open. . . .

My Rock Hard 4x4 swing-away tire carrier doesn't sag, even with a 35" tire and two filled jerry cans, nor does it rattle. It is easy to open and close - one finger operation.

I can't take credit for the purchase, the prior owner of my jeep gets that, but I can say that it is by far the best commercially made bumper/tire carrier I have encountered. Bonus points - it is made in the U.S.A. with U.S. steel. Not cheap, but worth the price.

The spindle and hub for the swing-away arm has dual tapered bearings and races with a zerk fitting to keep it greased:

RH-2001-C-16T.jpg

It has a spring loaded safety pin to keep the tire carrier from closing when parked on an angle:

IMG_2348.jpg

One finger operation for the latch (the same latch assembly is used on ambulances and fire engines):

040_40%20copy.jpg

RH-2001-C-15T.jpg

RH-5001-27T.jpg

My Rock Hard 4x4 swing-away tire carrier doesn't sag, even with a 35" tire and two filled jerry cans, nor does it rattle. It is easy to open and close - one finger operation.

I can't take credit for the purchase, the prior owner of my jeep gets that, but I can say that it is by far the best commercially made bumper/tire carrier I have encountered. Bonus points - it is made in the U.S.A. with U.S. steel. Not cheap, but worth the price.

The spindle and hub for the swing-away arm has dual tapered bearings and races with a zerk fitting to keep it greased:

View attachment 58068

It has a spring loaded safety pin to keep the tire carrier from closing when parked on an angle:

View attachment 58069

One finger operation for the latch (the same latch assembly is used on ambulances and fire engines):

View attachment 58070

View attachment 58071

View attachment 58072

That looks nice! I guess it goes to show you can get a nice swing away tire carrier bumper, you just have to be willing to spend a lot. The ones I see for $300 or so are the cheap ones I'm referring to. I've never had the pleasure of using one of the higher end ones like you have.

Reactions: Zaythedad
I have another Rockhard rear bumper kit, new in the box, plus the 5 gallon jerry can mount for sale. It was $1500 plus shipping new and has not been used. Just like the one in this picture. I have mine for a year and live on a rough road - no problems with rattling or sagging. Contact me for details/offer. Shipping is added on. [email protected].
upload_2018-10-7_10-7-56.png