Best Replacement Fuel Pump?

Mark Dickenson

I am looking at replacing the fuel pump in my 2001 TJ Sport. When I look online the number of choices and the price spread of these choices is making the decision tougher! Can anyone offer a suggestion for a quality reliable unit? Thanks All!

A whole fuel pump assembly replacement? The Bosch 67655 is not easily obtainable any longer. I'd probably try a Delphi. I believe the actual pumps and level sensors are still available it you wanted to rebuild.

I am looking at replacing the fuel pump in my 2001 TJ Sport. When I look online the number of choices and the price spread of these choices is making the decision tougher! Can anyone offer a suggestion for a quality reliable unit? Thanks All!
Bosch still makes the fuel pump itself, it can be replaced separately in the fuel pump assembly that contains all the other components. If your issue can be replaced by just replacing the pump itself that will save you $$$ and it doesn't take long to replace just the pump. It's the entire fuel pump assembly including the fuel pressure regulator, sender, float, chassis etc., that Bosch no longer provides.

Reactions: mikespine and SSTJ
Bosch still makes the fuel pump itself, it can be replaced separately in the fuel pump assembly that contains all the other components. If your issue can be replaced by just replacing the pump itself that will save you $$$ and it doesn't take long to replace just the pump. It's the entire fuel pump assembly including the fuel pressure regulator, sender, float, chassis etc., that Bosch no longer provides.
I need a fuel pressure regulator replaced can I take the original fuel module out of the tank and take off the fuel pressure regulator and replace it? Mines an 04 so the regulator is in the tank and not in the engine bay I’m pretty sure.

I put a Delphi in TJ #2. Been running fine since. Note the bad one I pulled out was an Airtex, so it wasn't the original. Not sure how long it was in there but since it failed as a replacement for the OEM pump, I probably won't buy one if I need another pump.

I'd you are willing to do the labor to replace the pump module, I would go Bosch. If you want the whole assembly, go Delphi. Just my $.02, take it as you please.

Reactions: L J
I need a fuel pressure regulator replaced can I take the original fuel module out of the tank and take off the fuel pressure regulator and replace it? Mines an 04 so the regulator is in the tank and not in the engine bay I’m pretty sure.
All TJ fuel pressure regulators sit on top of the gas tank, directly on top of the fuel pump assembly.

All TJ fuel pressure regulators sit on top of the gas tank, directly on top of the fuel pump assembly.
Actually can you find me a link to the Bosch fuel pump I’ve searched everywhere and I can’t find it. And does the pump module come with the pressure regulator?

Reactions: mikespine and SSTJ
Is it advisable to change all components even if it’s just the pump or just the regulator?

Is it advisable to change all components even if it’s just the pump or just the regulator?
There's not much else there other than the fuel gauge sender. I'll never forget when the Jeep dealer replaced my '97 TJ's fuel pump due to a recall on them. They replaced the entire assembly which included the fuel gauge sender. The only problem was my fuel gauge was accurate when I arrived at the dealer but it was off after they replaced the entire assembly. If they had replaced just the fuel pump my gas gauge would have remained accurate. The moral of the story is if it works, don't mess with it.

Reactions: mikespine
You can find the part numbers at www.rockauto.com, it is Bosch 69316. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2004,wrangler,4.0l+l6,1425901,fuel+&+air

The Bosch 69316 comes with nothing else but the fuel pump module itself, it does not include the FPR.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hi @Jerry Bransford

Would this part also work on a 97? Just wanting to be sure this isn’t another quirk

Reactions: SSTJ
@Jerry Bransford I've got a power loss issue under load mainly in 4th/5th gear at 2600 rpm's in my 98 4.0L. I'm thinking it's something to do with the fuel pump assembly to some degree just don't know what, one reason I lean this way is I'm getting a code stating my fuel level sensor is bad. I've replaced both O2 sensors with NGK sensors, double checked the CAT isn't clogged, etc. the only thing I haven't done is check fuel pressure on the rail. My other assumption is it possibly has a vacuum leak somewhere...other than that I'm stumped!

With this being said do you have a whole assembly replacement you would recommend?

I am planning to do a gas tank lift soon, while having the tank empty and already pulled would it be wise to go ahead and replace the fuel pump? Or should I just listen to the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” thing?

I am planning to do a gas tank lift soon, while having the tank empty and already pulled would it be wise to go ahead and replace the fuel pump? Or should I just listen to the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” thing?
How many miles on the TJ? Any issues with extended cranking during a cold start?

I switched to a savvy skid recently and thought about that as well. I decided to leave it alone since it ain’t broke. Two factors- it wasn’t too difficult to drop the tank (a bit of a PITA though) and a Bosch fuel pump is $200. I have 101k miles.

How many miles on the TJ? Any issues with extended cranking during a cold start?
I switched to a savvy skid recently and thought about that as well. I decided to leave it alone since it ain’t broke. Two factors- it wasn’t too difficult to drop the tank (a bit of a PITA though) and a Bosch fuel pump is $200. I have 101k miles.
I’ve got around 86k on the 2004 and haven’t seemed to notice any issues yet. I like the savvy skid but I’m planning to allocate those funds elsewhere and just modify the stock skid, slice it and weld it up higher as I’ve seen posted on here 👌🏼

I’ve got around 86k on the 2004 and haven’t seemed to notice any issues yet. I like the savvy skid but I’m planning to allocate those funds elsewhere and just modify the stock skid, slice it and weld it up higher as I’ve seen posted on here 👌🏼
I changed mine out at ~100,000 miles due to a faulty fuel level sender. The whole process is easy enough to put it off until the assembly begins to fail.

That’s a good idea. I didn’t need the aluminum skid but I liked it enough. I still have my stock skid so I may mod it for the 1” clearance then sell the savvy one down the line. It’s a good free mod. Wish I knew how to weld😩