Best ride yet

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
Well here it is. I know you guys already know what I am about to say.
I got this 2000 tj in bad shape late december 2017. I worked on the under side of the frame( basically doing rails),new brake lines,the usual.Someone said who at 70 would lay under a jeep for 3 months cutting and welding on a creeper.Finally got it on the road a month ago after safety check (page full of repairs I made). Just did a starter motor the other day. I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face. I had a 1999 miata which I really liked and sold a year ago.This seems to really be me.The simplicity of changing out the starter and the available parts plus the real bonus ,YOU GUYS ,have made it a real pleasure to own.Someone today asked if I wanted to sell it and I said HELL NO.I am still bonding with it.
I still have to put together the build I did but I want to thank you guys so far for all your help.Another one I am happy to say has a second lease on life.Reminds me of all the norton commandos I have owned and bonded with.Still have one.
Cheers
Bruce

All part of the service sir !! lol

although it has been said that...……...This thread is worthless without pics

before, and rails I made plus bucket of frame rot.After pics to come.
20171204_112643 tj3.jpg body mounts.JPG jeep rust in bucket.JPG IMG_3512.JPG

Im there with ya! I smile every time I’m in my Jeep, wherever I go. It’s such an enjoyable ‘journey’ building up, fixing, changing out and updating or whatever it is I do on it. And, like you, thank this forum as well! -Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Great canvas to work from and glad you got rid of the metal cancer....I think we've all been down that road

Having a Jeep at 44 is like early retirement. :)

Welcome to your second lease on life! Great work on the TJ!

Reactions: KCsTJ
Nice job, nothing like being 70 and having to work under a Jeep. Just got done myself with some transmission repairs at 70 as well. There's a lot to be said for us old farts still goin' at it hard under and in our jeeps! :D

I always praise the TJ for being so simple to work on. Sure, it's not as simple as a 50s hot rod by any means, but it's probably about as simple as you'll get in terms of a "modern" vehicle.

I too used to have a Miata as well (an NB model), and while I love that car, the TJ is even more fun for me, especially with the top and doors off.

I'm happy to hear there's 70 year olds who are still wrenching on their rigs. Very glad to have guys like you as a part of this forum and a member of the TJ community.

Well, I'm only a spry 67 but my wrenches are never cold. I've made some improvements to save the shoulders and other parts. I don't lift the tires any more when I take them off, I bought a dolly, works like a charm.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019MJFQJO/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I just loosen the nuts, lift the vehicle a bit and off they come, no lifting.
I just did the front brakes, hubs and universals.
Next is the rear brakes. I want all those critical items to be all new on my 97 SE since other family members will be using it.
After that I will investigate my steering, the coupling to the box seems loose.
It's fun fixing it up. Eventually I will put air in. A little daunting but it doesn't seem too complex.

Reactions: RussTJ
Just checked my gas mileage for the 3rd time.Took a drive along our erie lakeshore yesterday. 80 -100 kph ( 50-60 mph).I went 150 miles and got 25 mpg imperial which is 20.8 mpg US. Running great . It is a 4 ltr 5 speed.

Reactions: KCsTJ
What happened to your tranny, may I ask?
187 miles from home out in the desert, the transmission went into Limp mode and also started causing the engine to stall and chirp the tires when it did. AAA had to truck it home for me. Had to get inside the valve body plus replace the solenoid assembly and transmission range sensor. Ended up also installing a Transgo shift kit for good measure since it was only $22. It was an adventure as I had never been inside an automatic transmission before. The thought of getting inside it was scary as hell.

187 miles from home out in the desert, the transmission went into Limp mode and also started causing the engine to stall and chirp the tires when it did. AAA had to truck it home for me. Had to get inside the valve body plus replace the solenoid assembly and transmission range sensor. Ended up also installing a Transgo shift kit for good measure since it was only $22. It was an adventure as I had never been inside an automatic transmission before. The thought of getting inside it was scary as hell.
Good grief! You did all that? Ugh when these automatics let go, you're stranded.
Glad you.mentioned a shift kit, gonna look into that. Hope you got it fixed without too much grief

Reactions: Jerry Bransford