Best soft top zipper lube?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I tried chapstik on a whim some time ago. Just as a stop gap measure to get it on. Helped but didn't last long. Thought about WD40 but that would possibly leave stains on the soft top I'm thinking. White lithium grease? Maybe same staining problem. My back window wouldn't even come off this past weekend. Just gets stuck about 3/4's of the way.

Anyone got any ideas for something that would lube them but not stain the top?

Reactions: sideproject
I saw online someone recommended Windex - I gave it a try on my soft top zippers which were dry/dusty and the rear was stuck. It worked really well - give it a try.

I saw online someone recommended Windex - I gave it a try on my soft top zippers which were dry/dusty and the rear was stuck. It worked really well - give it a try.
Water-based Windex will help rinse dirt out but it will only lubricate a bit for about a half-day until it evaporates.

Water-based Windex will help rinse dirt out but it will only lubricate a bit for about a half-day until it evaporates.

yeah i guess it's not really a "lube" but it did a good job cleaning out my zipper - i haven't applied anything else and the zipper is still running smooth after 2 weeks

I’ve had extremely good results with silicone lube spray. When I first bought my Jeep the zippers were full of crap. After about two or three times of using it over the course of a couple weeks they were clean and smooth.

I hit my new top with it whenever I clean the Jeep (about twice a month) and the zippers just glide.

I believe mopar/bestop has their own. But either way I'd suggest trying to clean the zippers first.

My 05' has the original factory (2005) soft top and its it's still in great shape.
I use 303 twice a year on the fabric. And Bestop soft top window wax once a year on the windows.
And also your hardware store - basic silicone spray on the zippers as needed. Which all depends on how much I use my TJ.
I've had to take pliers and cinch down the rear window zipper pulls a couple times. Because they will expand.
So, silicone spray is my choice for soft top zippers.
But beeswax and surf wax may work just as well. IDK.
As I said. My top is 15 years old....and overall 303 is your best bet. And silicone spray on zippers, just plain works.

Reactions: Dougj169
i used a teflon dry lube spray i soaked a paper towel with and wiped my zippers thats made by the same company that makes pb blaster. although it seems to be holding up for a few weeks now it left a powdery white coating around the zippers, it seems to fall off when i rub at it but the zippers are a tad smoother. i dont intend on using it again as im not as happy with it as i expected (seen suggestions to try it).

im gonna be picking up bestop lube soon, it didnt hold up for any period of time but the zippers worked like butter for a couple days after using the sample pack that came with my top.

I've always just rubbed a candle on all the zippers a couple times a year, it doesn't seem to attract dirt and haven't had one stuck yet. Also ditto on the 303 spray, have used it for years on the boat and jeep soft top. Both are over 14 yrs.old and still look pretty good.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
I thought the common refrain around here was to use OE whenever possible? ;)
This is what I use. Works well and is easier to control than a spray.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040ZPQLY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I haven't put anything on mine yet. Seems to run very smooth without anything on it. I don't recall using anything on any jackets I have owned over the years and the zippers work great even on my ski/cycling jackets that endure bad weather often. Question is zipper lube even needed?

I pick this at 4 wheel parts. Works pretty good and no residues or staining.
Help me with the OEM soft top zippers that I still thinking never were unzipped until I get the LJ and working great on the Trektop.
1568812757162.png