Best soft top?

Bestop. Period. They're the OEM for the soft tops that came on all new Jeeps, you won't find better quality from anyone else. Go for the Sailcloth version which is the heavier/quieter/longer-lasting fabric that came on our Jeeps when new.

Avoid cheap soft tops like from Smittybilt or any in that same low price range. They come with thin noisier fabrics that won't last as long and they seldom fit well.

Yep, the best soft top you can buy is coincidentally made by Bestop! Go figure, right?

There is no better top. And if you have the money to spend, buy it in Twill! You won't regret it!

I have the Bestop TrekTop NX, I really like it. I can remove the whole thing or fold it down and not mess around with the bows or metal framing of a traditional soft top. Some people do not like the angled back, but I do not have a back seat in my LJ so it does not hinder me

Reactions: MikekiM and LarryTJ
I've got a Bestop on my TJ, and my daughter has a Rugged Ridge that the previous owner put on it, and you can tell the Bestop is much nicer. Fabric is twice as thick. The zippers are much bigger on the Bestop etc. you will spend more on the Bestop, but it will be worth it

I really like my softopper frameless.Two years strong, ran all year and still perfect.

I put a Bestop on mine, it was a straightforward installation as all of the parts fit correctly the first time. I’ll admit I’m not keen on the Sunrider part because I haven’t found it useful at all but all of the parts are made to fit.

Bestop. I’ve had the TrekTop NX (frameless) on my previous TJ and I now have the Bestop Sailcloth frame top. Both tops have been excellent. However, they are not cheap in price compared to other brands.

Flexibility meaning different configurations that are all easy and great: full top on with huge sunrider open, all windows off for safari option, and easy to get fully topless. I drove a Jeep with a factory soft top and the sunrider (sun roof) was so much smaller. I keep the back window out of my Rubicon and generally have the doors off, for a pseudo-safari. Flipping open the sunrider takes seconds and coverts that to almost feel topless but only having to unzip 2 windows and unbuckle to clips.

I cheeped out years ago and bought a Quadratec soft top. It was thin and the buffeting was awful on the freeway. Bestop was a great upgrade!

Flexibility meaning different configurations that are all easy and great: full top on with huge sunrider open, all windows off for safari option, and easy to get fully topless. I drove a Jeep with a factory soft top and the sunrider (sun roof) was so much smaller. I keep the back window out of my Rubicon and generally have the doors off, for a pseudo-safari. Flipping open the sunrider takes seconds and coverts that to almost feel topless but only having to unzip 2 windows and unbuckle to clips.
Everything you described is applicable to the Supertop NX (framed) top also, so really it's just a matter of looks and/or whether you prefer getting topless by not removing the top completely, but just by folding it back.

I have the Bestop TrekTop NX, I really like it. I can remove the whole thing or fold it down and not mess around with the bows or metal framing of a traditional soft top. Some people do not like the angled back, but I do not have a back seat in my LJ so it does not hinder me
Quick question on your frameless top. Can you fold it all the way back or is it a major pain to do that as you have to remove the entire top? My rear window zippers busted and the hardware to my top got bent somehow so I either have to buy a entire new top kit or i could do the frameless, which I love the look of but like running with the top all the way back still. Thanks!

Quick question on your frameless top. Can you fold it all the way back or is it a major pain to do that as you have to remove the entire top? My rear window zippers busted and the hardware to my top got bent somehow so I either have to buy a entire new top kit or i could do the frameless, which I love the look of but like running with the top all the way back still. Thanks!
So I no longer have a soft top, I now have 25F3DD00-8B5C-4BDF-A273-BF98F9BC80C3.jpeg
But when I did have the frameless top I rarely put the whole thing down, it is a major PIA. I did open the front "sunrider" portion quite often, that is quite easy if you do not clip the sides over the doors. It can be done while sitting at a traffic light...... The problem with the frameless tops is the rear zippered window is a stressed portion of the top to make it fit tight and that makes for a PIA to open and close the rear window

Bestop. Period. They're the OEM for the soft tops that came on all new Jeeps, you won't find better quality from anyone else. Go for the Sailcloth version which is the heavier/quieter/longer-lasting fabric that came on our Jeeps when new.

Avoid cheap soft tops like from Smittybilt or any in that same low price range. They come with thin noisier fabrics that won't last as long and they seldom fit well.
Agreed-and the zippers on the cheap tops are a nightmare.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Yep, the best soft top you can buy is coincidentally made by Bestop! Go figure, right?

There is no better top. And if you have the money to spend, buy it in Twill! You won't regret it!
Hey Chris, shopping bestops now, you sure the twill won't look kinda overdone? Too fancy? Look funny with my tired half top sliders? I do want to get the best possible, best warranty, and longest lasting, and bestop touts the twill as that. Just don't want it to look overdone.
@AndyG