Best source for a Rubicon transfer case?

Long Rider

TJ Enthusiast
Things just get better and better. As I was trying to determine the source of vibration on my Rubicon, I pulled the rear driveshaft. When I drove it off the front axle, anytime I tried to accelerate, it would make a heavy ratcheting sound for a few seconds.

My guess is the PO stripped out some of the planetary gears in the transfer case. I only 'wheeled it very lightly a few times and didn't have a problem. I figure when 100% of the engine torque is applied to the front, the gears in the transfer case start to skip over the teeth.

The front end maybe bad, but I would figure it would make a heck of a lot of racket and "sing" or make other noises when in in 2wd.

Questions:
Is my diagnosis of bad planetary gears correct?
If so, where is a good source for a new or rebuilt transfer case?

Between the unknown vibrations, probable transfer case problems, and twisted off head on the rear yoke (see my other thread) "Ahm about to set far to this thang", as my granddad would say! Please help!

I would suspect a stretched chain before gear problems. You may be able to see the chain thru the drain plug with a scope.
I would suspect a stretched chain before gear problems. You may be able to see the chain thru the drain plug with a scope.

A real diag will require some disassembly.

How common are stretched chains in the 241? It only has 110,000 miles, but I suspect the PO ran 35s and beat up on it pretty bad. The front axle was broken, but I got it replaced via warranty from a wrecking yard, and the spare tire carrier had a lift to raise the spare up about 2 inches.

I plan on putting the front end on stands, putting it in 4 hi and try to rotate the driveshaft to check for slack in the chain. Does anyone know of a better way to check for slack other than cracking the case?

No problem. I noticed the lash when I had mine apart. The shift collar spline has a lot of play in it. I think it’s there to make the shifts easier, but presents like slack in the chain.

For $2400 I'd just do a midnight metalworks D300 with twin sticks and front digs.

As easy as it is to pull your transfer case... that's what I would be doing...pull it out and apart and find out what you need to replace. Case is intact... everything else is replaceable.

-Mac

For $2400 I'd just do a midnight metalworks D300 with twin sticks and front digs.

As easy as it is to pull your transfer case... that's what I would be doing...pull it out and apart and find out what you need to replace. Case is intact... everything else is replaceable.

-Mac

But those appear to start at $3800 - that's quite a stretch from $2400.

edit - and I'm not suggesting $2400 is a bargain!

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
But those appear to start at $3800 - that's quite a stretch from $2400.

True...but you're $2400 closer to front digs. Did I mention front digs? Twin sticks?

And it'll work. Won't be a used unknown box of who knows what problems you might inherit.

Sanity dictates fixing the original. I'm just saying if you're going down the irrational path jump in with both feet...

-Mac

I bought my current '05 Rubicon in 2013 with a slipping chain. It's a pretty distinct sound that sounds like... A chain slipping. Dunno how else to describe it. Ratchet-like.

I presume the previous owner just drove around with it in 4wd on pavement all the time, because it only had 41k miles on it. And 32" tires.

Anyway, it was a decade ago, but I recall the rebuild as being a pretty simple process. The hard part then was finding parts, I couldn't even find anybody that had rebuilt one before.

I found my original post on another forum... Looks like the same part numbers today.

BK241J and HV-081 at Transtar.

Also keep in mind driving too long on a stretched out chain can and likely will eventually wear it's way through the side of the case.