Best upper door skins

sam53

TJ Enthusiast
Hi, my old OEM door skins are about used up. Are Bestop skins better than the rest, are they worth double the cost? Thanks all

Bestop are the best, but many of the others are more worth the price. I go through them every few years. I've used Smitty and King and both are decent. The latest are Smitty and no complaints.

I have the Smittybilt uppers.. They fit well enough. Color and texture match to Bestop Black Diamond is great. No real complaints, other than the contour where the upper meets the door surround and soft top isn't perfect. Might be how I have it all installed, but it doesn't look like adjustments would help. Regardless, they get the job done.

2024-04-13 TJ Half Doors 04.jpg

Never had the Bestop, but the ones I have seen fit better at this ^ spot.

I will say, I had a set of Rugged Ridge soft uppers for one of my JKs and they had a neat feature I will somehow add to the current uppers... There was a small plastic toggle at the bottom center of the window seam and three fabric small loops, one at each upper corner of the clear window and at the top center. It allows you to easily open and secure one half of the window without the plastic being sucked out at speed. Hard to explain. Open the front half of the zipper and secure the corner loop to the toggle and the window is secured open diagonally. Or, do the same at the rear corner leaving just the front portion closed. Or, unzip both zippers halfway and secure the center loop to the toggle and you effective have the same as rolling your window dow halfway.

If this feature is of any interest, I share some pics of what it looks like. I use a small spring loaded clamp to accomplish the same thing and it's pretty helpful.