Best way to remove fender flare bolts

Vidar

TJ Enthusiast
I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find a good thread for it. I'm trying to remove all the fender flares on my 97 for painting. I was able to pull the front flares. On the front extensions and the rear flares, I was able to get all the bolts out that had accessible nutserts and plastic nuts. My problem is with the bolts that have nutserts that are not accessible (the two rear bolts on the front extensions and the two front bolts on the rear flares). All of them broke free and just spin. What is the easiest/best way to get those out without damaging the flares or tub? I plan to reuse the flares after painting.

After removal, is the best option to drill out all the nutserts and install riv-nuts? Is it better to go steel or stainless? I saw some posts that said stainless ones have a greater tendency to have thread issues. I'm in rust heaven here in central PA, so if I put steel ones in they will definitely rust again.

I'm sure this has been answered, but I can't find a good thread for it. I'm trying to remove all the fender flares on my 97 for painting. I was able to pull the front flares. On the front extensions and the rear flares, I was able to get all the bolts out that had accessible nutserts and plastic nuts. My problem is with the bolts that have nutserts that are not accessible (the two rear bolts on the front extensions and the two front bolts on the rear flares). All of them broke free and just spin. What is the easiest/best way to get those out without damaging the flares or tub? I plan to reuse the flares after painting.

After removal, is the best option to drill out all the nutserts and install riv-nuts? Is it better to go steel or stainless? I saw some posts that said stainless ones have a greater tendency to have thread issues. I'm in rust heaven here in central PA, so if I put steel ones in they will definitely rust again.

To better assist you on your Fenders, I did this to my 2006 Jeep wrangler with a buddy of mine. It was a job where I saw more value on paying a shop to just do it. But him and I banged it out. Two person job. Their is a nut on the back end that you have to grab with what I used a locking grip to grab it, other person gets the other side to get the nut out. You are better off getting plastic clips to go through the fender and body, my aftermarket ones came with them after I put three on with that factory bolt/clips, the extra's were in a bag deep in the box that I didn't see. lol Like I said, in my opinion and what I read your question, it's a two person job and recommend plastic nuts. I live in Vermont and understand the rust issues.

I hope this helps and good luck on the job.

To better assist you on your Fenders, I did this to my 2006 Jeep wrangler with a buddy of mine. It was a job where I saw more value on paying a shop to just do it. But him and I banged it out. Two person job. Their is a nut on the back end that you have to grab with what I used a locking grip to grab it, other person gets the other side to get the nut out. You are better off getting plastic clips to go through the fender and body, my aftermarket ones came with them after I put three on with that factory bolt/clips, the extra's were in a bag deep in the box that I didn't see. lol Like I said, in my opinion and what I read your question, it's a two person job and recommend plastic nuts. I live in Vermont and understand the rust issues.

I hope this helps and good luck on the job.
Thanks for the feedback. On all of the nutserts I had to use vice grips on the backs to keep them from spinning, which was a giant PITA. My issue specifically, though, is with the four on each side that you can’t get to the nutserts. They are in the interior of the tub and I couldn’t find a cutout on the underside or inside that I could access the nutserts.

I’ll have to look for plastic clips, that sounds like it might be an easier route for the install.

Thanks for the feedback. On all of the nutserts I had to use vice grips on the backs to keep them from spinning, which was a giant PITA. My issue specifically, though, is with the four on each side that you can’t get to the nutserts. They are in the interior of the tub and I couldn’t find a cutout on the underside or inside that I could access the nutserts.

I’ll have to look for plastic clips, that sounds like it might be an easier route for the install.

The ones you are speaking of, I had to lay on the ground and put my entire arm in. my 06 tj had an give or take a little more arm with opening. I for the life of me couldn't think of the word but yes Vise Grips lol. You have to take off your tire if you didn't do so. It's easier that way.

The ones you are speaking of, I had to lay on the ground and put my entire arm in. my 06 tj had an give or take a little more arm with opening. I for the life of me couldn't think of the word but yes Vise Grips lol. You have to take off your tire if you didn't do so. It's easier that way.

Yep, I had the same experience with mine. I had to lay on the ground and get my entire arm in there.

Yep, I had the same experience with mine. I had to lay on the ground and get my entire arm in there.

So, with my side fenders I got, I didn't know it came with extra clip inserts so I reused nasty old inserts for three fenders lol. I'm paying someone to take them off and put them on again because I also forgot to put the rubber membrane between the body and side fender lol, amateur move.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
So, with my side fenders I got, I didn't know it came with extra clip inserts so I reused nasty old inserts for three fenders lol. I'm paying someone to take them off and put them on again because I also forgot to put the rubber membrane between the body and side fender lol, amateur move.

Damn! Well, live and learn I guess, right? ;)

Mines were rusted to shit. I grinded the boltheads and tapped out the rest through the hole. If you are careful you will salvage the fender flare but regardless you need new hardware.

Use stainless nutserts for every time. Use a good quality antiseize to prevent gauling the threads. And use stainless bolts too. The road salt is relentless. Others say not to use stainless bolts with stainless nutserts, but they keep helicopters up flying every day that way. Just be sure to use antiseize and hand start each one to prevent cross-threading. And where you can't use a nutsert going with plastic nuts (and plastic bolts if possible) make it easy to just break the plastic bolts off when you need to go back there.(no helicopters use plastic nuts and bolts that I know of.)👍

Thanks guys. @schmoupe, what did you use to grind your bolt heads off? Flap disk or cutoff disk?

I'll have to try and get a pic of the bolts that I'm referring to. On my tub, I cannot find any access to the back of the bolt to hold the nutsert with vice grips. The bottom of the top covers up the back of those bolts. For the front fenders there were several that I had to get way up in there for (I actually cheated since the engine bay is empty and could get them from that side for the vice grips), and I pulled the rear fender liners to get access to most of those. But there are 4 on each side that I can't access the backside of the bolt/nutsert at all.

Use stainless nutserts for every time. Use a good quality antiseize to prevent gauling the threads. And use stainless bolts too. The road salt is relentless. Others say not to use stainless bolts with stainless nutserts, but they keep helicopters up flying every day that way. Just be sure to use antiseize and hand start each one to prevent cross-threading. And where you can't use a nutsert going with plastic nuts (and plastic bolts if possible) make it easy to just break the plastic bolts off when you need to go back there.(no helicopters use plastic nuts and bolts that I know of.)👍

God I hope not.

Thanks for the input on stainless. I'll try to get some of them.

Thanks guys. @schmoupe, what did you use to grind your bolt heads off? Flap disk or cutoff disk?

I'll have to try and get a pic of the bolts that I'm referring to. On my tub, I cannot find any access to the back of the bolt to hold the nutsert with vice grips. The bottom of the top covers up the back of those bolts. For the front fenders there were several that I had to get way up in there for (I actually cheated since the engine bay is empty and could get them from that side for the vice grips), and I pulled the rear fender liners to get access to most of those. But there are 4 on each side that I can't access the backside of the bolt/nutsert at all.

I actually for got to tell you. In the rear, you have to take the plastic wheel well out. That is the location to get into the tub. I totally forgot to tell you. If you do that, you will find your access entry.

This is an example of the ones I’m referring to. (Picture taken from under the vehicle looking straight up at the front extension on the drivers side. Front bolt is out as I had access to the backside to pinch the nutsert with vice grips.)
The wrench is on the bolt head, you can see there is no backside visible. The tub is below the nutsert, and I can find no way to access it from anywhere. There are eight total bolts like this, two on each front extension, and two in each rear flare.

554D36B2-3CB2-45B7-B55B-843ED17BF3D8.jpeg

they are not visible on the very bottom of the tub interior?
the lip on them is not real big you could get a screwdriver up under them and work them out they'll wallow the hole enough to escape. or grind off the heads with a flap disc then grind off the flanges on the bad nutserts.

they are not visible on the very bottom of the tub interior?
the lip on them is not real big you could get a screwdriver up under them and work them out they'll wallow the hole enough to escape. or grind off the heads with a flap disc then grind off the flanges on the bad nutserts.
No. On my 97 there is no visible way to access those ones from the backside. I tried a cutoff wheel on a dremel, but that sucked as I couldn’t get a good angle. I’ll try a flap disk on the others. Thanks for the input.

This is an example of the ones I’m referring to. (Picture taken from under the vehicle looking straight up at the front extension on the drivers side. Front bolt is out as I had access to the backside to pinch the nutsert with vice grips.)
The wrench is on the bolt head, you can see there is no backside visible. The tub is below the nutsert, and I can find no way to access it from anywhere. There are eight total bolts like this, two on each front extension, and two in each rear flare.

View attachment 144830

Take out that piece in the bottom of the picture. There is plastic cover wheel well and a more or less like soft frabic which is I believe I see on the bottom of the picture, you need to take off. Its snug in there but you need to take off a couple things to get there.

If I remember from when I took mine off, I think the extensions are "keyhole" shaped.
You might have to take one screw out, then it should slide to the front or the rear.