Best Way to Salvage 97 TJ?

theruska

Hello,

I have a 1997 TJ (5-speed manual) with about 89,000 miles. It's in really good shape and the engine has no issues. Unfortunately, my son was in an accident and rear-ended a LandRover, which bent the frame beyond repair. I wasn't carrying collision insurance on it, so I'm trying to decide what to do. I've tried finding a salvaged or used frame (I even posted on this thread) but can't locate a decent one within a reasonable distance at a reasonable price. Even if I do find one, my shop is quoting $7,000 to replace the frame, repair the front-end damage, replace the airbags, and a number of other items.

Here's what the TJ has going for it:

- Engine with low miles
- New Bestop Soft Top
- New Rancho 50 shocks
- New brakes
- Good tires and spare
- Clean interior
- New radio and speakers
- New WeatherTech floor mats

I'm in the D/FW area. I contacted Collins Bros Jeep via email and they are offering $1,700 sight unseen.

I'm not a Jeep guy, we just bought it used on a whim a few years ago and we have loved it. I'd really like to keep it but don't want to throw good money after bad, so I would love anyone's input on:

- What the TJ was worth before the wreck (in today's market)?
- What the TJ is worth as-is (unrepaired)?
- What the TJ would be worth if we replaced the frame and repaired it?
- If we decide not to repair it, what's the best way to salvage it?
- Sell to Collins Bros as is?
- Part it out?
- Other ideas?

We've put a fair amount of money into it, so we're just trying to recoup what we can.

I've attached a photo of before and after the wreck. Thanks very much for any input or advice you can provide.

Jeep Before Wreck.jpg

Jeep After Wreck.JPG

Last edited:
What rear does it have? That can help with the value. A dana 44 rear and rust free 1/2 doors are worth almost what Collins is offering.

What rear does it have? That can help with the value. A dana 44 rear and rust free 1/2 doors are worth almost what Collins is offering.
Honestly I don’t know. How can I tell?

There is no rust. It spent most of its life in the D/FW area and also spent time in Red River, NM.