Bestop Fastback Style Soft Top - Back To Stock

Kwag

Supporting Member
Hi All,
I bought an 05 LJ yesterday!

I'm going to clean it up over the next few months and get it ready for summer. Right now it has the bestop fastback style top. I'd like to go back to stock. What parts do I need to return it back to stock? The frame etc? I'm not sure what was removed if anything to install the fastback style.

Thank you!

Reactions: chili_pepper
Are you meaning back to the OEM top or a Bestop OEM style?

If you’re wanting OEM you would need most of it I think. You may be able to use the door surrounds and header but I’m not sure. If you want to sell the fastback style it might be harder to sell without those parts though.

If you buy the Supertop it should come with everything you need for the install. They do sell a Replace-a-top (I think) that is just the fabric and you use all the OEM hardware, bows, etc. I’m not completely up to speed on all years and models that one is available for though.

I see, thank you!

Might be best to just go super top then. The OEM style fabric is only a couple hundred less than the super top.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
In 2017 I had the Bestop (Trektop NX, I think) fast back for a few days. I thought I wanted it but after installing it, I didn’t like it at all. Sold it and got the Supertop NX and have been happy with it.

Reactions: suicideking
In 2017 I had the Bestop (Trektop NX, I think) fast back for a few days. I thought I wanted it but after installing it, I didn’t like it at all. Sold it and got the Supertop NX and have been happy with it.

Why didn’t you like it?

Mainly I just didn't like the look on my Jeep the way I thought I would. If I had installed it after my lift, wheels and tires, maybe I would have.

IMG_2675.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

Mainly I just didn't like the look on my Jeep the way I thought I would. If I had installed it after my lift, wheels and tires, maybe I would have.

View attachment 495904

View attachment 495905

Just my $0.02, I've got one of those Trektop NX jobbies (came with the Jeep) but I think the square back factory-style framed soft tops look much better on the LJ's. If I hadn't snagged a used hard top, that's probably the direction I would go. (y)

It definitely looks a bit funky on an LJ... I love how it looks though on a TJ. I've had it on mine for around 7 months now and love it

View attachment 495906

Just my $0.02, I've got one of those Trektop NX jobbies (came with the Jeep) but I think the square back factory-style framed soft tops look much better on the LJ's. If I hadn't snagged a used hard top, that's probably the direction I would go. (y)

Lies, all lies! Try and tell me this doesn't look good:

1706658772480.png

Yeah, I sold it to a guy in Myrtle Beach and ended up buying The Bestop Supertop NX.

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

Oh I wish that was mine, unfortunately I'm not that cool 😥

I like mine as is, but I'm strongly considering going fastback come springtime:

View attachment 495918

I do think they look good on the right Jeep, just not mine at that time. I really think it was the lack of lift and tires/wheels.

Last edited:
I have the OEM top with a RAT. I have been tempted to get the Trektop NX, but hear a lot of complaints about it. Mostly that the windows (maybe just the rear?) are more difficult to put on.

One thing the Trektop NX has going for it is you can use it just as a bikini. You can do that with the OEM. Though I've heard that if you do it regularly, the rear corners will eventually no longer stay fastened.

I have the OEM top with a RAT. I have been tempted to get the Trektop NX, but hear a lot of complaints about it. Mostly that the windows (maybe just the rear?) are more difficult to put on.

One thing the Trektop NX has going for it is you can use it just as a bikini. You can do that with the OEM. Though I've heard that if you do it regularly, the rear corners will eventually no longer stay fastened.

I’ve ran my Supertop quite a bit in the spring and fall with the side and back window out. A gust of wind hit one time and popped one of the corners off. I use a long piece of 1-1/2 or 2 inch wide double sided Velcro strap around the fabric corner and roll bar and it holds it on pretty well With no extra flapping.

I’ve ran my Supertop quite a bit in the spring and fall with the side and back window out. A gust of wind hit one time and popped one of the corners off. I use a long piece of 1-1/2 or 2 inch wide double sided Velcro strap around the fabric corner and roll bar and it holds it on pretty well With no extra flapping.

Good idea! I might do that.

It might be both of our lucky day, if we can figure out shipping.
I just bought an 06 LJ with the factory style soft-top (framed) , and prefer the looks of the frameless (like yours).

Whadya say?
If we can figure out shipping of course. Might be too much of a hassle to ship the frame itself.

The windows are difficult to put on if you dont have the right order of things to do when putting it back together. I really struggled when I first got the top, but I've got the process down now and can go from no top to full top in maybe 7 min. 3 min to take it all apart. It's quite easy yet is still very snug and infinitely quieter than the oem style top I had on before. The reason I bought it is because it can function as a bikini as well and I can use the back deck cover if I want to (which you cant do when you have the oem top on and all the windows off - the rear corners are still in the way). Plus, it has the sunrider option as well. My singular complaint is when you have the front windows open but all the backs closed, the top likes to flap against the roll bar that the speaker bar is connected to. Easy fix though by stuffing a t-shirt or jacket up there.