Bestop question

I need to replace my soft top due to rear zipper being all rigged, i just need a new one.... but I want one with clear windows. If i buy this one, will it be enough/work? advice??

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VL9WRK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
It will work fine if you have a 2003 or newer. There's a slightly different but similar type model for 2002 and older.

Edit: I figured out after reading countless posts that you ended up buying a 2005 so that top will work. It'd be great if you would fill in your Profile so we don't have to be detectives to figure out what model Jeep you have and its configuration. Like engine size, transmission type, etc.

Last edited:
Sounds good thank you! Do you know the difference with this one compared to others? Also cheaper..

That one has clear windows (whereas most of them have tinted windows), and it is made of sailcloth, which is the cheaper material. The more expensive ones are made of twill, which is a very premium material that is heavier, much better at keeping out sound, keeping heat in, and it's the same material found on BMW, Mercedes, and other high end convertibles.

If you have the money, twill is the way to go. Of course it's over double the cost, so it's not cheap.

Reactions: tennant
Collect my research fee and you'll get 50%. :D
I'm going to get Chris to set up my screen so that it has like, reply , and invoice . I think that third option would be good for us.

Some guy the other day was in the conversation about whether to ride around with your doors on or not and he said he and his wife disagreed so he had the door on her side and no door on his side.... And I told him we were issuing a citation in the mail for that one. Lord.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That one has clear windows (whereas most of them have tinted windows), and it is made of sailcloth, which is the cheaper material. The more expensive ones are made of twill, which is a very premium material that is heavier, much better at keeping out sound, keeping heat in, and it's the same material found on BMW, Mercedes, and other high end convertibles.

If you have the money, twill is the way to go. Of course it's over double the cost, so it's not cheap.
Its definitely about the money here. its more about making sure they're clear windows haha i like it more than tinted.

Reactions: Chris
Hahahahaha!! EVERYTHING makes my stupid jeep idle erratically!!
Sorry... I know that was a cheap shot.

I think it's the extra 10 inches of fuel line that an LJ requires... The pump cant lift the fuel.

Keep the faith brother ...I know you're going to be okay

Reactions: GorillaBiscuit
Sorry... I know that was a cheap shot.

I think it's the extra 10 inches of fuel line that an LJ requires... The pump cant lift the fuel.

Keep the faith brother ...I know you're going to be okay

I definitely need some humor after working on the jeep and only making things worse. I just don't understand, I was a fully certified Honda tech for almost 20 years. I rebuilt countless engines, transmissions, and fixed an infinite amount of problems. I never had any issues like this!
I think I might need to sell the jeep and pick up another Honda, apparently it's the only thing I know how to fix! Lol

Reactions: qslim
I definitely need some humor after working on the jeep and only making things worse. I just don't understand, I was a fully certified Honda tech for almost 20 years. I rebuilt countless engines, transmissions, and fixed an infinite amount of problems. I never had any issues like this!
I think I might need to sell the jeep and pick up another Honda, apparently it's the only thing I know how to fix! Lol
Now that I know more of your back ground , I understand your frustration level even more .

We need to get another thread going , and tag Tim and Toximus , and some of these other mechanical maniacs and find somebody that has seen that issue ....it's a pretty common 4.0 deal , and I think the elusive part is what triggers it .

Have you hit Wranglerfix about it yet?

Reactions: GorillaBiscuit
Now that I know more of your back ground , I understand your frustration level even more .

We need to get another thread going , and tag Tim and Toximus , and some of these other mechanical maniacs and find somebody that has seen that issue ....it's a pretty common 4.0 deal , and I think the elusive part is what triggers it .

Have you hit Wranglerfix about it yet?

I started a new thread titled "Seriously! WTH is wrong with this LJR?"
I also spoke with Mark at Wranglerfix. We talked for over a half an hour! Lol
He said, from what he pulled up, the TPS code could be tripped by a faulty PCM. He said It wasn't really common, but it could happen. I'm going to end up ordering one soon, even if it's not the cause of the TPS code, I think I'd like one anyway to hopefully thwart any future problems.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
I started a new thread titled "Seriously! WTH is wrong with this LJR?"
I also spoke with Mark at Wranglerfix. We talked for over a half an hour! Lol
He said, from what he pulled up, the TPS code could be tripped by a faulty PCM. He said It wasn't really common, but it could happen. I'm going to end up ordering one soon, even if it's not the cause of the TPS code, I think I'd like one anyway to hopefully thwart any future problems.
The only reason I want you to buy one is so that you end up with so much money invested in it that you don't want to sell it!

And what I'm getting at is I really don't think it will be the PCM ..but if you keep the thing having one sitting around is probably not a bad idea because it's the only considerable thing that will likely wrong go for long long time on that vehicle ..everything else you would literally have to drive it off a cliff to tear it up.

One thing I tell people about the PCM and the related cost...

that is something that may go wrong one time and only cost , what is it , $750 maybe.... And people worry themselves sick.

But they are going to definitely use up a set of tires every 30 to 40 thousand plus miles, cost 750-1200 dollars, and people get excited and shop around and send their buddies picture and just get thrilled to death about buying them.

I think PCM failures affect 5 % of only 2 years of the model run (05-06) or somewhere in there.

Last edited:
the only reason I want you to buy one if so that you end up with so much money invested in it that you don't want to sell it!

Oh believe me, I was at that point the day I bought that damn thing! If I thought for one second I could get my 25k back, I'd sell it in a New York minute! Lol!!!