Bestop twill vs sail cloth

Trooper

Good day
I need a new soft top for my 2001. It seems that Bestop is the most popular. They have tops made of twill and sail cloth. Looking for any inputs on which is better.

Thanks for the help.
Ken

I bought the twill top. I already had the hardware, saving a few dollars. I really like it. It’s supposed to be their top of the line basic style top. I had a Smittybilt top when I first got it. It was all I could afford. It lasted almost 4 years. Then the zipper on the rear window gave up and I then bought what I wanted this time. It’s definitely quieter and thicker.

I have owned my 01 TJ for three months and mine came with a Smittybilt. According to the dates on one of the windows; mine was installed in 2010. The soft top leaks and is showing signs of the continual exposure to UV.
Recently I ordered the Bestop sailcloth with tinted windows from 4WP during a sale.
Guess that is a problem with Smittybilt soft tops; mine also has a problem with the rear window zipper.

If that top lasted for 10 years, that’s really quite good. I didn’t take very good care of mine. I never lubed the zippers. This time, I bought and use lube. I live in a very dry and dusty environment.

Twill is far superior, it's just much more expensive. Both will be good choices, the twill will just be more quiet on the highway, keep more heat in, etc. It's a thicker, more premium material that us used on high end convertibles (i.e. BMW, Mercedes, etc.).

What lube?

I bought the actual Mopar lube. I'm odd that way though. I spent so much money on the top I wanted to make sure it was going to be good. The bottle has a brush to run along the zipper. I've read there are multiple types of lube people here use that I'm sure are just as good, and cheaper I'm sure. That was 11.50 for that. I don't use it daily of course so it lasts quite a while.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040ZPQLY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Lube.jpg

mine also has a problem with the rear window zipper.
I removed the Smittybuilt soft top windows a couple of months after purchasing my jeep. I've never been able to get the rear zipper to work for the rear window.

Will I likely need a new top if I want a rear window to be connected?

I removed the Smittybuilt soft top windows a couple of months after purchasing my jeep. I've never been able to get the rear zipper to work for the rear window.

Depends upon the condition of the top.
Sometimes you can get away with cleaning the zippers and applying the zipper lube that Bestop sells.
Otherwise you may need to replace the rear window.

Take it to a upholstery shop. They can replace the zipper likely fairly cheap and you’ll have a functioning back window zipper again.