BF Goodrich Balance

Cisco Kid

Been around the block...twice!
Supporting Member
I am running KO tires 33x10.5 15 tires.
Had an alignment check which was good.
I have had them previously ballanced twice but still have a shimmy at 62-65 MPH which goes away at 65.

I had them ballanced a third time and for the first week no shimmy. Now the shimmy is back but about 1/2 as bad.
I give up.
I do not like the KO's. Maybe they are not actually round. At the price of these things it is not worth trying them again.
I am considering dropping down to 32's or even 31's.

Any opionions on a different brand of tire or size change?
Looking at all season tires.

Reactions: ac_
While I'm most assuredly in the minority, I am a fan of Toyo tires. They are typically rated/reviewed with high marks. The last several sets of tires I have purchased have all been Toyo, and I have no complaints about them. My wife runs them on her XJ (Toyo A/T II), and I have the same mounted on wheels to go on my TJ when it's completed.

Reactions: BendLarry
I have had them previously ballanced twice but still have a shimmy at 62-65 MPH which goes away at 65.

I had them ballanced a third time and for the first week no shimmy. Now the shimmy is back but about 1/2 as bad.
I give up.
I do not like the KO's. Maybe they are not actually round. At the price of these things it is not worth trying them again.

I have never been a fan of the KO tires. I am sure I am a minority as people rave about them. My issue has never been balance but more radical cupping and uneven wear. I doubt that the KO tire is actually your issue, but more of the technique of the balance. It sounds like they actually got them balanced then they went out of balance which makes me think you may have lost a weight.

I have had a terrible time lately getting my tires balanced correctly. I will say after a lot of work, I finally got my Duratracs balanced perfectly from 4wheel parts. Mine are 31's though. I am in the next couple of weeks and moving to a 33, and unless something changes I am moving to the Cooper stt pro.

i will tell you that I ran the BFGoodrich MT's for many years with no issue. I have always had issues with the KO's and by KO I really mean the AT's. but they were never a balance or our of round issue.

I have had so many problems with Discount tires in 3 different stores around me. If you are going to a chain, I would maybe look for a new shop and try them. Ask people on the forum in your area where they have had luck. I did that in the regional area of the forum myself.

Have no idea. They were on it when I bought the Jeep 2 years ago. Jeep had 112,000 miles and now 121,000.

They have about 3/4 tread left.
Yeah I think if you like the tires and they were balanced fine before you got them balanced that I would keep them and find a more reputable shop to balance them. I am pretty tired of trying to find a good tire shop. It tires me!

I give up.

Write a letter to BFG and the head office of the retailer you bought them from. Half the people I know run KOs with no problems. I had a shimmy at 48-52mph. Took them into Kal Tire yesterday, they did a rotate, rebalance for free, found 1 bent rim, traded it out with my spare. Good to go.

Since I bought my tires there, they did it all for free. Got to love shopping local. Supporting the local retail tire shop !!

More likely your problem is a rim too.

I've never found a reason to run BFG's. I've had Plenty of success with both Toyo and General AT tires, at considerably less cost. The General Grabber AT is a VERY similar tread pattern to the KO. I currently have them on my pick-up. Its a great tire. Very little weight to balance out, they have good road manners and I've not had ANY traction problems in rain, snow, etc.

I am running BFG KM's on my Jeep. Got them used for pretty inexpensively. They are decent...but they took a TON of weight to balance out. They are only 32 x 10...which means they are slightly smaller than the "normal" tire on my F150 (275/65R18)

Problem Solved...Lesson Learned.
I wish to thank everyone for their response and help.
As I am probally to old or busy at work that I should have seen it.
If you simply look inside your wheels you may find a golf ball size chunk of mud stuck there. DUH!

Took it to the carwash and cleaned the inside of all wheels and magicly the vibration went away. Who would'a thunk it.

Learned.. clean the f''n mud off your wheels inside and out.
Thanks

Reactions: Squatch and ac_
If you simply look inside your wheels you may find a golf ball size chunk of mud stuck there. DUH!

Took it to the carwash and cleaned the inside of all wheels and magicly the vibration went away. Who would'a thunk it.

Thanks

haha! You almost bought new wheels and tires.

I think that might be my first diagnoses if this ever comes again.

Some Dude or Dudette
"Hey, I can't get my tires balanced! WTF"
Me
"Try washing your car!"

Hehe Thanks for the update. It made me laugh!

Reactions: Squatch

Thanks
Like @ac_, I actually laughed out loud on that one! That would've been some expensive mud, I'll tell you what. And the funny thing is, you would have never known that it was the culprit. New wheels and tires would have "fixed" the problem, and you would've never been the wiser. Great story, and something to be learned from it. Thank you!

Reactions: ac_
Well it made me feel dumbas. Also I spent $550 today on new tires on my Dodge Dakota.
I wouldn't let it bug ya. It's not like it's the first thing people think of when they get a vibration. Bet a lot of folks could have fallen into that particular trap. You just made us all more aware, that's all. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Cisco Kid and ac_
I take all my vehicles to the local toyota dealer ship and have them " road force balanced " It makes such a difference to me , they ride so much better. Its about 50 bucks

My Cousin Vinny, classic, fast forward about 1/2 way......

You got mud in yer tires.

We have to travel to go Jeepin'. After every wheeling trip, after I strap my TJ on the trailer, my wife makes me wash out her wheels at the camp ground before we hit the road. I have to explain "she's got mud in her tires" to people about every time. Strange looks, or a nod and uh yeah ok. Cracks me up.

Reactions: Squatch