Big Long Plastic Coil Holding Thing in my Freaking Way

JEEPCJTJ

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland
I'm not sure what it's really called or if I even described it right. I know I hate it because I'm trying to change my spark plugs in the 2006 TJ.

How in the hell do you unplug the Big Long Plastic Coil Holding Thing to get it out of the way to get to the spark plugs?

I was able to slide the red plastic lock thing about 1/8th of an inch but the plug remains stuck in place. Does the red plastic thing need to move more? I haven't done much yet but it seems that those cute little wires won't survive much abuse and I'm temped to cut them in to a couple dozen rice sized pieces anyway.

Actually I can work around it for the first five spark plugs but it's pretty much in the damn way of the sixth no matter what.

OK maybe I didn't describe it good enough.

After a little google search I found out it's the Ignition Coil Pack and here's a picture I stole from somewhere.

2019-07-08.png

Thanks guys. I did get that far but was trying to get it unplugged to get it out of the way without messing up the wires plugged into it while getting to the last spark plug.

I don't know why but between the alternator in the front and the two dipsticks toward the rear and how short those wires are to begin with, along with the fact that it looks like the factory zipped tied those wires to the rest of the harness for some reason just made it seem like a better idea to unplug it and get it out of the way. I did succeed getting to the plug with a universal extension but still wonder how to unplug the coil pack if It ever needs removed in the future.

Once you move the red locking clip, there is a tab that you need to squeeze. I found that if I use one hand to squeeze the tab and wiggle the connector it will come off or move enough to hold the tab in the release position. I can then use a long flat screwdriver to push it off the rail. Watch out for the seal inside the connector, mine comes off for some reason and ends up on the floor.