Biggest size tire I can put on stock SE wheel?

TWallRudy

the 01 SE i recently purchased came with stock wheels and 225/75-15 tires but they are looking a bit small on the the vehicle. Im hoping to go a bit bigger (30's) but IDK if my stock wheels will be able to accommodate the larger tire. Also seeing as 5 new tires might run close to over 1,000 would it be cheaper/ more beneficial to purchase wheel/ tire combos at possible sale?

To OP:

If your question is whether 30" diameter tires will fit on your factory wheels, the answer is most likely yes if it is a 245/70 or 245/75, also a most likely yes for a 30x9.50 tire.

I would be more comfortable moving from "most likely yes" to just plain "yes" if I knew the particular wheels you have and the particular tire you are considering.

I run 31x10.50's on stock Grizzly wheels on my '99 SE. That's about as big as I'd go on a stock SE with a manual transmission.

The steering stops are adjusted with a washer on each side. The passenger side rubs on the lower control arm at full lock to the right. Irritating, but I'm used to it. Not an issue 99% of the time. The rig does OK off road, but I need to get into low range more often than I feel is necessary to get the four angry squirrels into an appropriate power band. Low range is there, so use it. It does fine on the Freeway up to about 65 mph. I do end up in third going up hills occasionally, at 3,500 4,000 rpm, to not impede traffic. Again, that's with the five speed.

I put a set of H&R springs under my SE which gave me an inch and a half of lift. The tires don't get into the bodywork or other bits under the TJ at full flex. A 31 inch tire gets awfully close on stock springs. Not a problem on the street, but it could be a problem on anything beyond a typical Forest Service road. Especially if you disconnect the front anti-sway bar for better front articulation.

My experience is that the biggest tire you want to put on an SE is a 31x10.50. On stock rims. Lots of issues start showing up if you go larger or change the back spacing from the stock 5-1/2".

Your mileage may vary.

the SE is automatic, as far a lift or suspension i am not sure. The carfax showed multiple owners i would not know what the was done to it past the previous owner. the picture below show it looks with its current tires.

IMG-1537.JPG

IMG-1539.JPG

Your TJ is unlifted, the biggest size it can go with is a 31x10.50R15 but the bigger the tire, the worse performance you'll have while driving. I'd suggest nothing bigger than 30x9.50R15 with your 4-banger engine.

Reactions: astjp2
I would say it is stock. Which is a good unmolested platform to build from. I would run 30's at the biggest, since nothing has been upgraded like gears and lift. If you are going to build a wheeler, then tires are not where you start...I would look at lift and gears first and set them to what tires you PLAN to run. Good luck, nice jeep. Tim

Im hoping to go a bit bigger (30's)
30x9.50 is a great size on an SE. Lots of choice too.
Are those the Echo... corrected Grizzly. 15x7 size? Also perfect for a 30x9.50.
31x10.50 is really the biggest for an SE, 32s, 33s will really hurt performance.

That 3 speed automatic is pretty much bulletproof.

Last edited:
I would say it is stock. Which is a good unmolested platform to build from. I would run 30's at the biggest, since nothing has been upgraded like gears and lift. If you are going to build a wheeler, then tires are not where you start...I would look at lift and gears first and set them to what tires you PLAN to run. Good luck, nice jeep. Tim

this will be my daily vehicle, so by no means will i by trying to take on any serious. but i dont want to hit some dirt trails and i dont feel confident the current trails are are suited for this.

this will be my daily vehicle, so by no means will i by trying to take on any serious. but i dont want to hit some dirt trails and i dont feel confident the current trails are are suited for this.
I had an 84 CJ, stock 235's, I used to cross rivers, hit the mud and drive over dead trees with the guys that had 33's and 35's in Alaska, just drive smart and be willing to be winched and small tires can be fun. My Wife's TJ had 235's, we went on several trails that people had 35's on. Just had to get winched over a couple of the obstacles in Utah. Good shocks to me are more important that big tires.

Reactions: StG58
I had an 84 CJ, stock 235's, I used to cross rivers, hit the mud and drive over dead trees with the guys that had 33's and 35's in Alaska, just drive smart and be willing to be winched and small tires can be fun. My Wife's TJ had 235's, we went on several trails that people had 35's on. Just had to get winched over a couple of the obstacles in Utah. Good shocks to me are more important that big tires.
Never underestimate what a stock(ish) TJ and good judgement can do off road. There's places you shouldn't go, like JV, but a mild build and good skills go a long ways with little drama.