Biggest tires and lift without other mods

AYS

New TJ owner and I want to make some mods to the 05 stock TJ I just purchased. First thing I want to do is add larger tires with a lift. What are the largest tires and biggest lift I can put on without any other mods?

Specs: 4.0L I-6 engine, Dana 44 rear axle, 3.73 axle ratio.

The largest size tire an unlifted TJ can handle without a lift is 31x10.50.

3" of suspension lift plus a 1" body lift can be installed without requiring major modifications which would allow you to run 33" tires. But that large of a tire would then mean you should regear both axles to a lower ratio like 4.56 to restore the power loss caused by the larger diameter tires.

Reactions: AYS
The largest size tire an unlifted TJ can handle without a lift is 31x10.50.

3" of suspension lift plus a 1" body lift can be installed without requiring major modifications which would allow you to run 33" tires. But that large of a tire would then mean you should regear both axles to a lower ratio like 4.56 to restore the power loss caused by the larger diameter tires.
What mods would be needed with this setup?

What mods would be needed with this setup?
No mods needed for the 1" body lift, install and go. An easy thing to install. Don't get tempted to install a 2" or 3" body lift, they just cause install problems and are not recommended.

3" suspension lifts do change the drivetrain angle enough to cause the driveshaft u-joints to vibrate. So you need to either install a transfer case drop kit (a second choice) or a pair of 1" taller motor mounts called 'MML' or motor mount lift. Either of those work by decreasing the angle the driveshaft u-joints work into which will stop them from vibrating.

Zone is a company that sells a kit containing a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" (maybe it's a 1.25") body lift which includes everything needed to install them. I haven't installed a Zone myself but they get rave reviews and they're not all that expensive. I believe they include the MML that is a better way to stop the vibrations than installing a transfer case drop kit which also decreases your ground clearance by that amount.

I second the Zone 4.25" combo lift though, I have a BDS 2" with a 1" body lift on 33"s and love it, just wish I had 1 more inch of lift.

To add. If you do a small lift with a body lift. I would do a 1” motor lift as well. Helps ensure the fan doesn’t hit the shroud and helps with drive line angles.

Thanks! Any suggestions on where to find the best wheel/tire combo?
No, I suggest buying the tires locally. Stores like Discount Tire or America's Tire Store will match any online price that you bring them for a tire they carry. Wheels are just something you'll have to figure out what you like. They'll need a 5x4.5" bolt pattern and a 3.75" backspace is fine. Pay no attention to the "offset" dimension given on some wheels, it's only the backspace measurement that you should be concerned with where Jeeps and trucks are concerned.

I have a 6 speed manual.
The 6-speed has slightly lower ratios than the 5-speed transmissions so it will help with the 33's with your 3.73 ratio. It still won't be great with those 33's but you'll at least be able to live with it. 4.10 would be better on both the highway and offroad, 4.56 would be a great choice with your 6-speed if you really want a trail-oriented beast.