Black Max front shock install question

UKTJ

TJ Addict
Having taken off the old shocks, several hours of my life I will not get back! I am moving on to fitting the new shocks so I can cycle the suspension for bump stops. I have the B8516 for the front, but I am confused by the hardware that comes with the shock. I have one bag with everything for fitting to the top mount, then a second with a rubber bushing and a metal insert(?).

Ymauj8.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20220311006.jpg

To fit with the original hardware I removed from the bottom mount do I need to press the metal part through the rubber bushing and then press that combined assembly through the bottom ring of the shock? Looks like getting the flat end of the metal part through the busshing is going to be a bit of a squeeze, but it is the only way I can see to fit the shock.

Fuck the vise...I tried that and ended up using silicone spray and a twenty ton press.

My wife laughed and smiled as I cursed my way up and down the shop and gravel driveway trying all sorts of methods.

Oh...and rubber bushing in first...get it most of the way in...leave an 1/8" out...it'll slip the rest of the way in when the metal piece is pressed in.

Did mine yesterday!

-Mac

Reactions: UKTJ
Fuck the vise...I tried that and ended up using silicone spray and a twenty ton press.

My wife laughed and smiled as I cursed my way up and down the shop and gravel driveway trying all sorts of methods.

Oh...and rubber bushing in first...get it most of the way in...leave an 1/8" out...it'll slip the rest of the way in when the metal piece is pressed in.

Did mine yesterday!

-Mac
If only you weren't 5,000 miles away, or I would have popped over with mine :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: macleanflood
I don't have a vise, so I tried a clamp or two. I got the metal bar int the rubber, but could not get it all into the shock. Now I have rubber in shock and can't get metal into it. Off to my neighbours to see if he has a vise this morning :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: MountaineerTom
This lift install is going to kill me. I had one more go with a clamp and got the first one sorted.

But now I have gone to the second front shock to find that the rubber bushing is not in the box. I simply do not know what to do. But it looks like my Jeep is going to be up on jack stands on the drive for weeks if not months while I try and get another bushing shipped from @Quadratec. I could cry!

• Sad
Reactions: MountaineerTom
I am looking for a replacement bushing, on the SkyJacker site there are two replacement shock absorber bushings that are black (not red) and do not come with an inner metal sleeve. The two product codes are EB1B and EB4B. DOes anyone know which one (if either) is the correct one for a Black Max B8516?

Edit: I have just the second page of replacement bushings which I previously missed. Looks like it is a 5/8" bushing which would make it the EB1B. But if anyone can confirm it would be really appreciated.
Also, is the only difference between an EB1B and an EB1 the colour, they both appear to be 5/8" hour glass shaped bushings. ILooks like it is easier to find an EB1 than an EB1B, I could live with one red and one black bushing if it an be here much sooner.

Last edited:
I am looking for a replacement bushing, on the SkyJacker site there are two replacement shock absorber bushings that are black (not red) and do not come with an inner metal sleeve. The two product codes are EB1B and EB4B. DOes anyone know which one (if either) is the correct one for a Black Max B8516?

Edit: I have just the second page of replacement bushings which I previously missed. Looks like it is a 5/8" bushing which would make it the EB1B. But if anyone can confirm it would be really appreciated.
Also, is the only difference between an EB1B and an EB1 the colour, they both appear to be 5/8" hour glass shaped bushings. ILooks like it is easier to find an EB1 than an EB1B, I could live with one red and one black bushing if it an be here much sooner.
I have some extra energy suspension shock bushings you can have for shipping, if you need em. They are black. I have no idea how much it would be to ship through the post office though...

I have some extra energy suspension shock bushings you can have for shipping, if you need em. They are black. I have no idea how much it would be to ship through the post office though...
That's very kind of you. Shipping would likely be hideous.

If non-Skyjacker bushings will fit then I may be able to source some over here, the problem is finding the specifications I need to match. All I know for the Skyjacker bushing is that the ID is 5/8" and the length in 1 1/2".

That's very kind of you. Shipping would likely be hideous.

If non-Skyjacker bushings will fit then I may be able to source some over here, the problem is finding the specifications I need to match. All I know for the Skyjacker bushing is that the ID is 5/8" and the length in 1 1/2".
They are pretty standard. You're looking for hourglass bushings with a 5/8 ID.

Daystar, Universal Hourglass Shock Eye Bushing Std. 5/8" I.D. Pair, KU08006BK, Made in America, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EOX9WA/?tag=wranglerorg-20

• Love
Reactions: UKTJ
Reactions: Mike_H
It was 36 degrees out and pouring rain...rubber was not supple...

-Mac
Having installed several of these, the easiest way is to install the bar pin into the bushing 1st, then install the entire assembly (bushing and bar pin) into the shock body. I use anti-seize as a lubricant for both installing the bar pin and the assembly, but other lubricants can be used as well. In my case I use my 20 ton press, simply because it's at the right working height for me. However, a vise will do the trick also.

Reactions: macleanflood
I put the bar pin in the bushing, spray Armor All on the bushing, put a small piece of wood over it and give it a smack with a BFH. Works like a breeze when you don't have a vise.