Blend door vacuum tube routing? they all melted

Jmac00

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
can anyone show me the heating control, vacuum actuator tube routing?
on page 24-5 of the service manual there is a description of the blend doors and where they are. But nothing on how to route the tubes. All three vacuum actuators are melted, along with the vacuum tubes
I looked through the parts manual and found all the pats and their related part numbers, but still nothing on which tube goes where.
Now I have to take the entire dash apart, AGAIN to get to the actuators? and replace the tubing, but there is no point if I can't figure out what tube goes to what actuator

anyone got a picture of where the tubes go, would be appreciated

1660925872372.png

1660925888349.png

1660925924922.png

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Look at 24-20 and 21 of the Heating and Air Conditioning section of the FSM that outlines what color tubing services what.
Yellow is Defrost Actuator, Brown is Floor Actuator, Blue is Defrost Actuator (Mid), Black is Vacuum Supply from Reservoir, Red is Panel Actuator and Green is Recirculation Actuator.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2000-2001-tj-service-manual-pdf.14036/

damn, I didn't go far enough down, into FSM, thanks.

so the top actuator is panel actuator ( red) . the middle actuator is the defrost. partial and full ( blue and yellow) and the bottom one is floor actuator??
where does the green tube go? or is that not used??? Im confused as to where the green tube goes??

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Now that you have the actuators/tubing replaced and working properly; what caused the melted parts ?

apparently the ACM (Airbag Control Module) harness was rubbing or the wires shorted without popping the fuse and caught fire. a few of my mechanic friends said I should replace the entire under dash wiring harness. But I don't see the point of replacing a wiring harness thats 22 years old with another 22 year old harness, and finding an intact harness is near impossible, I did find a ACM and harness from a '99 TJ, but friend said those were proprietary to that jeep, so it probably wouldn't work in mine.

So I inspected what was left, cut the wires at the point, that was not burnt, and removed the ACM altogether. I also pulled the two 10A fuses to the Airbags. I then put Butt splices on what wires were left and taped the crap out of them, then used a cable tie and tied them up to the main harness.

But when the harness melted, it also took out the actuators and melted the cover to the shift cable and the interlock cable. I have a shift cable on order from DeadJeep dot com. and I removed the interlock shift cable ( don't really need it) so now the Jeep runs. But the passive restraint system is dead. I guess I better not get in another head on crash ;) (y)

• Wow
Reactions: CharlesHS