Blew up the Dana 35 rear, deciding on next step

If you have stock height, you will need to have different driveshaft, like and inch shorter. Otherwise, you will assemble everything and then discover that it you cannot fit the driveshaft

What happens if you put a Dana 44 driveshaft in with a Dana 35? Does that work at stock height?

I tried. There was no way to fit it, u joint was too close to the yoke

Other way. The shorter driveshaft for the Dana 44 on a TJ with a Dana 35. Would be long enough to seal and not fall out? If so I'm guessing that's what was going on and why the new driveshaft is the same as the old. The old one was wrong but good enough.

Other way. The shorter driveshaft for the Dana 44 on a TJ with a Dana 35. Would be long enough to seal and not fall out? If so I'm guessing that's what was going on and why the new driveshaft is the same as the old. The old one was wrong but good enough.

Yes, you are right. Dana 44 driveshaft is an inch shorter than dana 35, assuming both same transmission.

I'm thinking different transmissions are what made for the same rear driveshaft length?

I think that rear driveshaft for manual transmission is supposed to be slightly shorter than for auto.
For some reason I thought that TJ have 4 rear driveshaft models, 35 manual, 35 auto, 44 manual and 44 auto.
I might be wrong.