Blind leading the blind

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member

The FAA inspectors are just as inexperienced as Boeing...​

FAA To Start Vetting, Monitoring Boeing Inspectors​

Russ Niles
November 13, 2021

The FAA will start vetting the engineers Boeing designates as safety inspectors after the agency found many didn’t have the qualifications or experience needed to be effective in the job. In a letter of complaint to Boeing obtained by the Seattle Times, the agency said it came across inspectors, who are designated to sign off on certification of systems and processes on the FAA’s behalf, who often had little or no knowledge or expertise in the technical and compliance issues involved. It also discovered that the people who appointed the inspectors often rubber-stamped their selection, and members of the panels selecting the appointees were frequently colleagues or their superiors. The current crop of inspectors are mainly replacements for older, highly experienced engineers who were offered early retirement incentives; dozens of them took the package.
Starting in January, the FAA will interview all candidates for inspector positions and will have the final say on whether they make the grade. That requirement is actually part of the FAA Reform Act passed by Congress earlier this year. The agency is also going to appoint an “advisor” to every single Boeing inspector to ensure there is continuous contact with the agency. Boeing told the Times it’s going to do better. “We’re committed to ensuring the highest levels of safety and quality in all that we do, and that includes the important work of Boeing employees who are designated as authorized representatives,” Boeing said.

Boeing having unqualified inspectors is scary.

Boeing offering early retirement incentives to older, highly experienced engineers is probably worse.

Is that the crap that lead to the MAX 737 crashes?

I really don't know what to do about any of that but I don't think anything passed by congress this year will make anything better. Probably not any year, really. That FAA Reform Act probably has pages and pages of useless crap. Even worse, I bet it won't be long before the FAA interviewers that decide who makes the grade will also be rubber-stamping their selections because they will frequently select their colleagues, family members or just about anyone that some foreign government wants there and offers money to have it done.

• Angry
Reactions: Zorba
Boeing having unqualified inspectors is scary.

Boeing offering early retirement incentives to older, highly experienced engineers is probably worse.

Is that the crap that lead to the MAX 737 crashes?

I really don't know what to do about any of that but I don't think anything passed by congress this year will make anything better. Probably not any year, really. That FAA Reform Act probably has pages and pages of useless crap. Even worse, I bet it won't be long before the FAA interviewers that decide who makes the grade will also be rubber-stamping their selections because they will frequently select their colleagues, family members or just about anyone that some foreign government wants there and offers money to have it done.
It also lead to the 787 Vertical fin have a reduced service life due to improper manufacturing and a bunch of other stupid shit.

• Face Palm
Reactions: JEEPCJTJ