Blinking check engine light

Rclarkson62

I have a blinking CEL. Blinks 10 times but only when the battery is on. Check engine light goes off once engine is on. Is this an issue or?

From my Dodge Ram blinking light experience I was told if it's blinking shut it off before it caused expensive damages, which for me would have meant catalytic converter replacement. Turns out it was just several bad spark plugs. Thanks previous owner!!!

Since starting stops your flashing I'd turn the key on three times and hope to see the code, if any.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
If this occurs prior to starting the engine, it means that the emissions system is not ready for testing. There is a TSB for 2005-2006 TJs. This will also happen after the battery has been disconnected or the check engine light has been reset. If that’s the case it’ll resolve after 3 drive cycles.

Do you have a 2005 or 2006 model? If so, it is likely an issue that is described in this TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2013/SB-10064540-0335.pdf

1655745694823.png

I believe that this TSB is a free repair at the dealer, or you can do it yourself using the procedure described in the TSB.

If this occurs prior to starting the engine, it means that the emissions system is not ready for testing. There is a TSB for 2005-2006 TJs. This will also happen after the battery has been disconnected or the check engine light has been reset. If that’s the case it’ll resolve after 3 drive cycles.

Okay that may be the case then. I have disconnected the battery several times. Just replaced it today, actually. I'll update after I drive it for a few days. If that's not it do you happen to have an idea of what else it could be?

Reactions: Wranglerfix